Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time for me to get and learn "Sketchup".

I think it's time for me to get and learn "Sketchup".

I probably shouldn't be even thinking about this, but I really want to do something with my family room. A couple years ago, I removed my mantle and mounted my flat screen TV on the wall above the fireplace. I wasn't sure how well it was going to work, but we love it. It's the perfect height and there are no heat issues. My family room is roughly 13-1/2' wide by about 20' long. The entire end wall of the room is a brick fireplace with a raised hearth. It's just too much!

For about a year, I've been thinking about removing the brick down about half way and framing out above that and putting up drywall. That will give me a space to run wires and flush mount the front and center channel speakers. But over the weekend, my wife went to the library and brought home several books on arts and crafts style furniture design. In one of them, there's a picture of a family room transformation. It was a 70's era family room with a fireplace much like ours, except it wasn't floor to ceiling and it wasn't the entire width of the room. There were book cases on either side of it. They did an arts and crafts style transformation and put cabinets on either side of the fireplace and connected them above with some panels. It looks AWESOME!

Well I'm getting giddy thinking about the possibilities. My brain is cranking away and I'm already visualizing losing at least half the height of the fireplace and removing about 34" of the hearth and fireplace on each side and replacing them with arts and crafts style cabinets. Then possibly even some wainscoting in the rest of the room in the same style. Well I do a lot of projects without even drawing up plans. I keep it all in my head and design as I go. But a project like this is much too complex for that so I think it's time for me to download and start working with Sketchup. I know it's going to take some time to learn, but I hope it will assist me in making the final design choices so I can visualize what the final outcome of the project will be.

I'll be sure to post pics of the project as it progresses. Wish me luck please!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

This is one i will watch closely

something like this, john? it's a rendering from sketchup (podium) of the one wall of the living room of my casa burro project. hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Well I downloaded Sketchup and started playing with it. It seems pretty nice and then I watched the getting started videos. It looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see what I can do with it.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Wow Dan!

That's cool. Very similar. I think that I'm going to start by just drawing up the room as it is. That will give me all of the existing dimensions. Then I can modify it with the new design.

if you need any help, drop me a line.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I'm glad your not looking to me for plans. I can't draw plans for didly. LOL

Have fun.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

john if you dont get sketchup methods just ask for dave richards or get his dvd that tells all the basics and more he is an excellent teacher..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks guys!

I've only been playing around with Sketchup for a little while and I'm slowly catching on. At this point, I think it will be invaluable for drawing plans for the cabinets that I want to build. I'll probably do the project in stages. I can do the demo myself. Once all of the brick demo is done, my buddy has a cousin who is a very good brick mason. I'll have him come in and do the finish work on the brick to get the fireplace to its finished size. Then I'll get the wiring done for power, speakers, etc. Then do the drywall work. At that point I'll have good dimensions to build my cabinets to.

The plan will probably call for just putting up a temporary wall a few feet in from the hearth and then covering it with plastic to keep the dust down. When the basic work is done, the temporary wall can come down.

I'm getting excited about this!