Couple of new things

Jim Burr

Trying to avoid pens for a while, found a chunk of boring maple, figured if I killed it the loss would be minimal. Sure enough, when I got into it...boring! Always a fan of dye and a very rookie wanna be pyro, this was a good opportunity! Usual routine, black sanded back, orange, yellow and red all sanded out and a final wipe with red, little bead with burn lines to add definition, the dots...lots of dots. While I didn't set off the smoke alarm, it's was a lot of burning! 3 coats of AO to try and fine some grain and WOP to finish. About 10x3.
Not sure what the wood is, but this is a little egg (approximately) shape box...seemed like a fun idea at the time. 4x2, finished with satin WOP.
Thanks for looking, C&C always used on the next one!:wave:

Attachments

• bowl inside.jpg
    bowl inside.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 43
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 55
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 47
  • egg1.jpg
    egg1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 46
  • egg2.jpg
    egg2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks folks! Larry, I have moderate ADD even at my old age so it was about 10 minutes a night with the small ball tip...the large tip didn't look right. Overall it took two weeks...but I hunkered down for the last 4" and just sucked it up. Once I started sanding, the oils raised from burning easly came off and may need to be re-done. I'd guess if one was to put their mind to it...two days of dot dot dot should finish it up.

Last edited:
I actually like the grain in the maple, its not super fancy but it has some nice spots of interest.

The egg is really cool, I like it a lot! If you could have rounded the top maybe just a smidge it would look more egg like, but it has kind if a sparse minaret look now thats interesting as well.

The dots and dye job came out really good as well; the dye highlights the grain and the color goes well with the rest of the piece. Its hard to get the dots really random isn't it? :D Overall very nice.

Good stuff, Jim. :thumb: I'll bet you were seeing spots by the time you got done with the bowl. ;) The only thing I see to critique is the randomness of the dots...as Ryan said, it's hard to make something like that look truly random. I think the best solution is to practice it on more pieces. :D

Good stuff, Jim. :thumb: I'll bet you were seeing spots by the time you got done with the bowl. ;) The only thing I see to critique is the randomness of the dots...as Ryan said, it's hard to make something like that look truly random. I think the best solution is to practice it on more pieces. :D
I hear ya...it really is. They are so small and there is an area to fill, some of them are bound to fall in line. Next one will have big dots!!

I hear ya...it really is. They are so small and there is an area to fill, some of them are bound to fall in line. Next one will have big dots!!

Overall I thought you did pretty well there, especially for a first try. The one part that stood out for me was in pic 3 where you have a clear line along the rim that is separate from the rest of the dots a little (there is also a clear line along the bottom in pic2 and a few lines curving between them but they don't stand out visually the same way).

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think part of the trick of random appearance is to try not to do adjacent dots but to apply some randomly around an area and then arbitrarily fill in the gaps.

In truth true randomness is extremely hard to achieve, even the universe gets it wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law