Phase III dresser

Alan Bienlein

Well after getting my computer working correctly again I went ahead and doodled up a drawing in sketchup for the dresser. Now I have to see how much walnut I need to get to go with what I have left over from what I got off of Larry.

I figure I would challenge myself a little with the compound curve drawer fronts and cabinet rails.
Phase III dresser.jpg

Wow so many draws. My missus has a dressing table and the two right side pedestals are one draw one cupboard combos with a shelf in the cupboard. Just from a design point of view how about making the lower doors on either side look like a cupboard door. Would add a nice challenge. Keep one as an obvious draw and the rest blind looking. Would produce a blank panel below the first one .

So where is the mirror and its uprights???? or no mirror?

How about one side being a door opening jewelry box with more draws inside and hanging spaces for necklaces.

Sorry just seems like way too many draws for a vanity. BTW how does a lady sit at this. The middle is usually left open for legs to go under.

Sorry I like the color scheme but to me for a modern lady the design needs more work.

I am even thinking that a vanity dresser type unit should have place these days for a digital picture frame , either a false draw front for receptacle for hair dryer curling tongs etc , heck even a telephone. :) You gotta think of your customer. :) Oh and dont forget the od ornament. I would also include glass on the top. I notice the makeup gets to mess up the wood top around our house and my missus aint heavy into makeup. What about the matching seat?? I do like the curve though. Would like to see that on the sides the middle open and two nice laminated curved doors with matching draws above either side. But its all about what your customer wants. I hope wood is not limiting how far this design can go.

Wow so many draws. My missus has a dressing table and the two right side pedestals are one draw one cupboard combos with a shelf in the cupboard. Just from a design point of view how about making the lower doors on either side look like a cupboard door. Would add a nice challenge. Keep one as an obvious draw and the rest blind looking. Would produce a blank panel below the first one .
Well I gave her a choice if she wanted doors in the middle she was getting adjustable shelves. She quickly decided she would rather have the drawers.

So where is the mirror and its uprights???? or no mirror?
Her mirror is in the bathroom at her vanity sink.

How about one side being a door opening jewelry box with more draws inside and hanging spaces for necklaces.
I'm going to build her something for her 2 necklaces and maybe 3 pair of earrings at her vanity in the bathroom where she has a mirror to put them on the one or two times a year she might wear them.

Sorry just seems like way too many draws for a vanity. BTW how does a lady sit at this. The middle is usually left open for legs to go under.
That's because it's a dresser. No sitting at this. She also wants it to do double duty for the u-verse reciever and dvd player. That's whats going into the opening under the center recessed portion.

Sorry I like the color scheme but to me for a modern lady the design needs more work.
Sorry Rob but Norma definitely isn't a modern lady! She's more like a tomboy as she loves to get her hands dirty and wants nothing to do with makeup! THANK GOD for that :thumb:.

I am even thinking that a vanity dresser type unit should have place these days for a digital picture frame , either a false draw front for receptacle for hair dryer curling tongs etc , heck even a telephone. :) You gotta think of your customer. :) Oh and dont forget the od ornament. I would also include glass on the top. I notice the makeup gets to mess up the wood top around our house and my missus aint heavy into makeup. What about the matching seat?? I do like the curve though. Would like to see that on the sides the middle open and two nice laminated curved doors with matching draws above either side. But its all about what your customer wants. I hope wood is not limiting how far this design can go.
Well Rob you hit the nail on the head as there will be a 42" flat screen TV above it. As for makeup no worries as she doesn't wear any. Wood isn't a limiting factor as I'll get whatever I need to build this.