Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Cleanup

PC Cleanup

No, not a politically correct cleanup! Personal computer cleanup products is the subject of my post. I've run a sample of a couple of different products: AVG PC Cleanup and PC Cleaner Pro - sample versions of both. What is the consensus of the group? Are products like this worth the cost? If so, which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Are you having an issue other than just being slow?

I can't recommend any since I haven't used them. I typically have my data on an external drive somewhere and just wipe the computer and reload it from time to time (every couple of years if it lasts that long).

If you're having malware issues, I typically use malwarebytes.org software (free version) and it does a good job of getting the pop-ups and stuff that you sometimes dont' know is running off the computer.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    For general clean-up 'System Mechanics Professional' {link} does just about anything I/you need, besides anti-virus/firewall stuff, it allows you to > Optimize the start-up, registry, etc...Remove junk files...defrag the RAM, drive{s} & registry...back-up the registry...repair broken shortcuts, hard drive problems...& lots more...been a lifesaver for me & my 11 yr old system...I too, keep most everything on an external drive and use it{SM} there as well...
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

what are you guys running for external drives?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what are you guys running for external drives?
    Western Digital 'My book' 750gig
    link
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Are you having an issue other than just being slow? ...
    I see some slowing down at times, but nothing drastic. The main thing I've seen is the report from the cleanup programs showing tens of thousands of things that need to be "fixed". I'm sure some of it is temporary files, etc.

For a couple of years, I've used a 1TB WD "My Book" running off my office PC. If I connect it to a USB port on my wireless router, will that make it more secure? I'm leery of using one of the online backup services.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Could always give one of the ones above a try and see if it helps. reloading or upgrading is always an alternative or doing manual un-installs of apps you don't use. My wife's got so slow from all the things in her startup it would take about 10 minutes before you could bring up a browser window.

There are a few build in ways to see what things are running. You can go to the search or command line and type in "msconfig" and hit enter to see what things are running in your startup. You can uncheck some of them (on the startup tab) to see if it makes a difference. The first tab will change from normal to selective startup whenever you uncheck something, just select normal again to set it back to the original config. Don't do a "Uncheck All" on the services tab though, did that once and drove me nuts for days getting things going again thinking I had gotten a virus as nothing worked.

I have a couple of usb WD drives I sync for backups and keep one unplugged, also have the data on a server as well as using dropbox for the files I use between the house and shop (drawings and such).
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

darren, can i have one of those external hard drives in a network and have all three machine get backed as it needs to be done either scheduled or automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    darren, can i have one of those external hard drives in a network and have all three machine get backed as it needs to be done either scheduled or automatically?
    What versions of windows are you using? xp? vista? windows 7? windows 8?
    Darren

2 machines are XP and the laptop is Win 7