Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to me compressor - IT'S ALIVE!

New to me compressor - IT'S ALIVE!

I found a listing on CL yesterday for this. I called the guy, and after a short conversation he was willing to hold it until I could come today to get it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-13 19.04.01.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	73721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-13 21.39.08.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	73724

He said the motor was shot but didn't elaborate much even when I asked him for details, but said the tank and pump were in good working condition. He said the motor started smoking and he disconnected it as he doesn't like messing with electrical. Well, this was my first clue, seemed the motor was drawing a bit too much current judging from the terminals and insulation that were melted. So either a wrong cap or shorted windings was my suspicion.

Name:	2013-02-13 19.04.55.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	73722

I spent some time testing the windings and caps, but got tired of reaching up and decided I would just remove the motor to work on over at the bench.

I probably should have started here and saved myself a little time. After removing the belt this is what I found...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4RAPpGCt0

I've got a motor on the shelf, but it's a little smaller, so will do some CL searching tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

Also I'm not sure of the exact model, seems the manufacturer plate was either cleaned with something that took of the info or it was never printed.

Name:	2013-02-13 19.14.22.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	73723

I'll be replacing the pressure switch as well, it was frozen/melted to the off position.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 02-23-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'm guessing you got a good deal on it? Could be a good score? Surely Campbell Hausfield would have the motor specs online, right?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Well, It seemed like a good deal (paid $225, newer ones of the same specs are about $700 new), but then when you price motors and consider the age it's probably not as good as deal as I thought. However, I've got it now, so will make it work. I've got a few resources for finding a motor, so will check around and see what I can come up with.

The motor has it's label and specs, just nothing on the model of the CH Compressor and tank so I can easily look up the parts, I've already found them via the casting and individual part numbers though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Re: New to me compressor

This is something on my tools to buy list. Want a nice large compresssor so i never have to look back for air again.
    I dont think u got a bad deal, consider this, you essentially bought a pump and tank now you get to at least choose the motor quality.
    I would definitely put some coin into the motor considering load and duty cycle. Then i think u will have a decent compressor.
    Kinda like buying a computing device minus the crappy harddrive and putting in an SSD.

Also hey good way to get purchases like this approved by the cfo.

I once had the task of purchasing a printer used to customize plastic chip card phone cards. We were buying this unit from Japan. Anyhow price exceeded CEO's signing authority without going to the whole board for approval. Board also had members we considered non friendlys. So CEO says bring the PO to me to sign as spare parts. lol. The Japs had a tough time understanding what i wanted but hey customer is always right so they obliged. Unit was shipped intact but confused the heck out of anyone in the paper chain like customs officials.
    Where there is a will there is a way.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

My guess is someone left it plugged in and a hose let go and the motor ran way past it's duty cycle...
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 02-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've been searching CL, but only finding ones with 1800 rpm's and I'll need a 3450 rpm. I suspect that the 1.5 hp was large enough, but either had an over tightened belt or ran a lot to wear the bearing the way that it did, which led to it's demise. Looks like the local motor shop is wanting about $200 for a rebuilt 1.5 hp. I'm thinking I may go with a 2hp or 3hp though @ 3450 rpms. Surplus Center looks to have each for $150 - $170 (including shipping). I'm going to finish removing the plastic to check the pump specs first and see if I need to do anything with it before making any decisions.
    Darren

Darren, I had exactly the opposite problem a few yrs ago when I was looking for a new motor for one of my lathes. Found all kinds of 3450rpm motors for nothing, but finally had to get a 1750rpm from Surplus Center and it's worked great for about 5yrs so far.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Darren, I had exactly the opposite problem a few yrs ago when I was looking for a new motor for one of my lathes. Found all kinds of 3450rpm motors for nothing, but finally had to get a 1750rpm from Surplus Center and it's worked great for about 5yrs so far.
    That's good to hear, I hadn't bought from them before, so was wondering how they were to deal with. Will probably order one tonight after I take a look at the pump a little closer to make sure that the motor that is on there was the right size in the first place. Really am considering that 3 hp over the 2hp for no more than the price is. If I ever had to replace the pump, would probably go larger anyway, so might as well size for the future.
    Darren

Odds are long that you already know this.. but make sure its a compressor duty motor as well (although "Farm Duty" would likely be ok as well).

The company I retired from has done business with Surplus Center for years and never had a problem. I also have bought from them personally, they are only 30 miles away. Walk in service is usually 10 min. or less. The warehouse is huge but they run electric carts around and have some darn good inventory control.