Very Soft Sander?

Dave Richards

A few weeks ago I made this drawing for a little cabinet with live edges. A very generous member whom I won't name (thanks very much, Larry) sent me some walnut with a live edge. The slope on the edges is much shallower than in my drawing which is fine but there's some neat little details--bumps and things like that which I want to keep. I want to sand off the remains of the bark and smooth the edge so it is pleasant to touch so I'm looking for suggestions for a sanding device. I started out sanding by hand and thought about backing the paper with a sponge of some sort but that won't help me get in around the details. What have you used that works?

a MOP is one of the best sanding rigs i have and am gonna get another for a different grit combo..they will work like a charm on that dave just dont push to hard and actually a high grit is better, that edge is soft.. a steel wire brush will get alot of it.. use a soft touch and you have great results..

Those actually look like those old fashioned shoe buffers? Mounted, er, sideways? With longer spindles?

P10577278.jpg

i think they are designed for buffing bowls guys,, and glenn just used sand paper mops instead.. look up buffing systems and you will find the motors withlong shafts//

So.. What are we actually seeing there Glenn (i.e. what is the guts made out of)? Looks like a pretty nifty setup.

Two Shop Fox buffing mandrels and a 1HP motor on a stand / assembly I cooked up. I had to punch the sandpaper out to 3/4" to fit the shafts and had to reverse one of the shafts as they are situated back to back. Sorry for the thread jack Dave :threadjacked:

de-pelter-quattro  (7).jpg . de-pelter-quattro  (8).jpg

Last edited:
well glenn, i have twisted my fingers a while now, and even asked my engineer SIL and i dont see how you can revese the shaft and gain the nut tightening direction??? so inform us please.. now if you twisted the belt yes i can see how it would work..

well glenn, i have twisted my fingers a while now, and even asked my engineer SIL and i dont see how you can revese the shaft and gain the nut tightening direction??? so inform us please.. now if you twisted the belt yes i can see how it would work..

I think he meant that he reversed one of the shafts by taking it out of the housing and reversing it so the threads would be the same on each side with one of the housings reversed.

I think he meant that he reversed one of the shafts by taking it out of the housing and reversing it so the threads would be the same on each side with one of the housings reversed.

Correct. I reversed one so that the right hand and left hand threads of each mandrel were on the same end when they are positioned back to back. I once again apologize to Dave for thread-jacking him but, he is getting a lot of info on sanding mops, eh? :) I run 120, 220, 320 and 400 grit mops as that is what I had on hand. I now have extra paper and a lovely collection of naked mandrels in the drawers. The idea started out a bit Rube Goldberg but, ended up pretty straight forward after some Sketch Up simulations. I christened this device the De-pelter Quattro, the name being loosely stolen from the animated film 'Over the Hedge'. It is set up so that I step on a billy pedal to turn it on, release to stop. I am still struggling with dust collection but this thing is about as easy to collect from as a CMS. At least most of the spoil shoots the same direction, all over my scroll saw :D.