Planing down to 1/4"

What planer do you have. My lunchbox planer would go to 1/4" without issue. The floor standing machine tends to foul the trailing edge so I double-stick material to a piece of sheet goods so it won't lift up; melamine, MDF or good flat ply.

I've also planed to 1/4" without problems...but I won't go less than that without a sled.

+1 and +1 to Glenn's comments.

I planed some 1/8" oak last month, just put some doubles-sided tape on a piece of 1/2" BB and fed it through the planer. I also reduced the amount that I planed on each pass.

Here is some more info.
I have a 20" planer. grizzly/shop fox type. These are glue up panels around 14" wide and 19" long.

I resawed some of the wood. Posted pictures of some practice wood I resawed because it was my first time. and it was great:D

the wood is cedar.

I have to be careful with the ones i want to make 1/4" thick because I only have 2 that I want to use and one i made for test fitting/planing. I have never tried less than 1/2" and if I remember correctly my height wheel started getting REAL stiff when I went that thin.

I am also making 2 that are 3/8" inch thick and I will probably use the same method for the 3/8". I also have one practice panel in that size.

when you run a panel your stressing your glue joint, so on cedar which is prone to splitting, i would be careful, if you have access to a drum sander i would sand them to thickness. if not then take real light passes.

I actually ended up doing both. Even with new blades in the planer I was getting tiny tear out marks all over the panel. the last lightest past would produce the fewest but still many more than tolerable.

then I would finish with my drum sander for the final thickness which was a very slight removal