Houston, We have a problem. Screwdrivers...

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, was wondering why I couldn't find a screwdriver I wanted. Kept them in the top bin of my rolling tool cabinet. Pulled out all the screwdrivers from there, and a couple of other places and it looks like I'm pretty well stocked on screwdrivers, and driver bits, etc...

I'm going to whittle this down to just want I need and make a hanging rack to hold just the most frequently used ones. Probably the old black handled craftsman ones and 1 or 2 of the ratcheting types.

Does anyone have any kind of a screwdriver holder they particularly like? Most seem like just a pretty simple set of spaced holes, but I know we have some clever folks here.

I'm going to sort all of the bits into one of those plastic multi compartment boxes.

Now if I can just overcome my hoarding impulse and get rid of the extras somehow, instead of putting them in a box and storing them, that would make me happy.

FWW-8768.jpg

i just use a block with holes in it brent and fill it with the ones i use, and another good thing is that if you have duplicates make your self a carry tool box and put a set in there as well.. that way when your in the woodshop you can look and see if they are all there and know to look for the one that isnt and it shouldnt be in your tool box that stays for outside jobs..

I've got a 'bucket' I use for carrying around. I've got an old tool box I'm thinking of equipping as you suggest.

I'm thinking the old block of holes will work just fine and I can put that on one of my french cleats in the shop.

Oh boy and I've got an issue as well with drill bits and driver bits. I'm pretty darn sure they were multiplying all by themselves in the drawers... I'm wondering how many complete sets of drill bits I can make.

I don't think I'll need to buy another #2 phillips or Robertson in quite a long time.

I have used several holders and the successful ones have two things in common. (three sir!)

- They are loose enough that I can easily get the screwdriver out -AND- put it back without having to feel like I am threading a needle.
- The screwdrivers stand at attention when in the "away" state so I can easily inventory them from across the room to know that they are all there.

I have right at hand the following:

- #0, #1, #2, #3 and stubby Phillips
- 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8" and stubby slot
- #0, #1, #2, #2-ball and #3 Robertson

These handle 99.99% of my needs. The usual collection of other long, thin, curved, ratcheting, mini, etc. are in a drawer a few steps away. Others and dups are in the shed.

One of my preferred holders right now holds two rows of four drivers perpendicular to the wall. This doesn't stick out far enough to be a problem and takes up a 1/4 of the wall length otherwise required.

Last edited:
I have a few of my favorites on magnetic bars above the workbench. I have 3 drawers full of extras. I can't seem to bring myself to cull them out. I also have drawers full of flashlights, knives, tape measures, sockets, allen wrenches, pneumatic fittings,and channel locks :doh:I can't seem to pass a hardware store without buying something I don't need.
Almost forgot. I must have 30 rolls of teflon tape all over the shop and garage but can never find one when I need it :eek:

I have a few of my favorites on magnetic bars above the workbench. I have 3 drawers full of extras. I can't seem to bring myself to cull them out. I also have drawers full of flashlights, knives, tape measures, sockets, allen wrenches, pneumatic fittings,and channel locks :doh:I can't seem to pass a hardware store without buying something I don't need.
Almost forgot. I must have 30 rolls of teflon tape all over the shop and garage but can never find one when I need it :eek:

Same exact issue. I've been wondering why it's so hard to find the tools I want when I have TOO many? So I'm cleaning them out, saving what I want/need and putting all the others into a big box.

No neighbor kids to pawn them off on, but I'll find some way productive to forward them on.

The irony is if I have less, it will be easier to find the one I want..

i just use a block with holes in it brent and fill it with the ones i use, and another good thing is that if you have duplicates make your self a carry tool box and put a set in there as well.. that way when your in the woodshop you can look and see if they are all there and know to look for the one that isnt and it shouldnt be in your tool box that stays for outside jobs..

Good system, except if some visitor puts one back in the wrong place:eek:

i just use a block with holes in it brent and fill it with the ones i use, a

Ditto the block with holes -- mine is hanging in the mail tool box on the all, and Ditto Glenn's comments about having the holes roomy enough to not feel like you're threading a needle, and ditto the comments about having the less-frequently-used ones in another location.

However, one thing I did, which I quite like, is I angled the holes (I'm guessing in the 10-15 degree range?) so that the handles are all angled forward. I quite like it, makes it easy to grab and return a screwdriver.
IMG_2639.jpg

In addition, I'm enough type-A/organized/Bradley-ish in that all the screwdrivers are sorted. The Robertson in the front-left, where they are closest at hand, and each has it's own hole (and from the photo you can see that there are few out in use right now), Slotted in the back-left, Philips in the back/right, and the tiny ones in the front-right (not that they are frequently used, but they're too small to be in the back row.)

For when you have to be able to drive a screw form off-axis. . . . Not that anyone would mess up their design to where they would have to use such a thing . . . er, . . uh, . . . its just in case that should ever happen :D

um, that is what the set of Stubby Robertson's are four. You've got other stubby's, why not some stubby robertson? :huh:

(yes, I have stubby's. Those, as well as the torx, yellow robertson, and a few other specialty tips are tucked away.

Come to Burning Wood in June. Get a free screwdriver!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

PS: Not to thread jack this thing, :threadjacked: and I know that this is about organizing and downsizing.
However, I am definitely buying this set of bits next time it shows up at Lee Valley -- the last time they sold out in about two weeks.

However, one thing I did, which I quite like, is I angled the holes (I'm guessing in the 10-15 degree range?) so that the handles are all angled forward. I quite like it, makes it easy to grab and return a screwdriver.

And that's why I posted this. I knew someone would have a twist on the storage idea that would make sense. Thanks!

PS: Not to thread jack this thing, :threadjacked: and I know that this is about organizing and downsizing.
However, I am definitely buying this set of bits next time it shows up at Lee Valley -- the last time they sold out in about two weeks.

Harbor freight also has some security bit sets. I have the smaller one. I think I used one of the bits once... But I'm ready if I ever need one!

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-security-bit-set-68459.html

To Art's post; I'm diggin' the stacked angled holder idea. Having to lift straight up limits your position choices and the use of the space above.

To Art's post; I'm diggin' the stacked angled holder idea. Having to lift straight up limits your position choices and the use of the space above.

That's why I chose the magnetic bars. I have to reach up and over my bench to get to them. Pulling them up and out of the block (I originally had one) was too long of a stretch for me and I usually knocked something else over. The angled one is a good idea but wouldn't work for me. Some of the screwdrivers that are my commonly used ones are long and I think that the tips would jam against my pegboard if they were at an angle.

Feel free... I doubt it is original. I started my hanging cabinet in 2007 and I just looked back at the web page and I have no recollection at all as to where it came from. Typically, I was looking at umpteen different books, articles, and web pages for ideas. I suspect that what came first was the angled chisel holder, and since the screwdrivers went under it, that it made sense to angle them also.

Just to close this out, I finally got a little time back in the shop today and sorted everything our, organized, and put away.

Here are the remaining screwdrivers, with their angled racks.

I used a 20 degree angle and it seemed to work pretty well.

Now Sharon should be able to find a screwdriver, although I suspect all she really needs is one of these... 52ce8579-4c0f-443e-bd7d-4f626bb223d1_300.jpg

attachment.php

FWW-8777.jpg

Last edited:
Just to close this out, I finally got a little time back in the shop today and sorted everything our, organized, and put away.

Here are the remaining screwdrivers, with their angled racks.

I used a 20 degree angle and it seemed to work pretty well.

Now Sharon should be able to find a screwdriver, although I suspect all she really needs is one of these... View attachment 73936

attachment.php

View attachment 73935

Thats funny cause I've got 2 of those at my bench and I've found thats all I ever use 99.4 % of the time. The rest of the time I use something different it's in my roll around tool chest with all my mechanics tools and I'm usually doing some kind of mechanical work.

If you look at the center of the pick you'll see a yellow handle and a red handle. Those are my go too screw drivers.
001 (800 x 601) (7).jpg