Thread: thompkins turned bowls at forever florida nature park

thompkins turned bowls at forever florida nature park

I saw these at a place called forever florida. it is a park on a private nature preserve. They have bowls on display and for sale. All made by a man named Donald Thompkins. I thought they were so nice I took pictures of them to share will all of you.

I have almost bought a used lathe a few times and never got around to making the purchase. Now I am going to get one without a doubt. To bad I don't really have any room for it but I will get one in my small shop some how.

I thought these natural looking bowls were exquisite. They look much better in person than in my very poor pictures.

Hope you enjoy looking at them also. Sorry I'm not much of a photographer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2490.jpg   IMG_2493.jpg   IMG_2496.jpg   IMG_2497.jpg   IMG_2498.jpg  

IMG_2499.jpg   IMG_2500.jpg   IMG_2502.jpg   IMG_2503.jpg  

What is the thick shinny stuff on the bark --- ??
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gallian View Post
    What is the thick shinny stuff on the bark --- ??
    I'm guessing poly.

Keith, kudos to this guy for getting his work out there and for sale, and good on him for inspiring you to get into turning, but there are nicer natural edged turnings out there, in my opinion. Mr. Thompkins' forms and finish could both be improved. But like I said, that's just my opinion. If people are buying his pieces, then who am I to argue?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm guessing poly.

Keith, kudos to this guy for getting his work out there and for sale, and good on him for inspiring you to get into turning, but there are nicer natural edged turnings out there, in my opinion. Mr. Thompkins' forms and finish could both be improved. But like I said, that's just my opinion. If people are buying his pieces, then who am I to argue?
    I just had never seen anything like them. maybe I didn't look hard enough. But remember, they looked much nicer in the real. My camera phone does not do many things justice. I also understand that a lot of wood workers are put off by poly. Me, not so much.

As to selling them. I have no idea if any are moving. they were all in the $80to $120 range. But its art so the price is the price. Some must sell or they wouldn't bother putting them there.

They are finished well. Shiney around here sells, satin/semi gloss not so much. His forms are not to my liking but that is just me. Like Vaughn said if they are selling that is what counts.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    They are finished well. Shiney around here sells, satin/semi gloss not so much. His forms are not to my liking but that is just me. Like Vaughn said if they are selling that is what counts.
    Bernie, I respectfully disagree about being finished well. I don't have a problem with them being shiny, but if you look in the bottoms you can see orange peel surfaces and overall unevenness. More attention to sanding and buffing would improve the finish, I'd think.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Bernie, I respectfully disagree about being finished well. I don't have a problem with them being shiny, but if you look in the bottoms you can see orange peel surfaces and overall unevenness. More attention to sanding and buffing would improve the finish, I'd think.
    I'm not sure what your seeing in the picture is actually there. My pictures really stink. When I was handling them the finish looked very nice. when I looked at my pictures I was a little ashamed of them and almost didn't post it because I thought it might make Thompkins work look bad.

Just speaking up for the guy since I displayed his work with out permission.