Mission Vanity - my 1st major project

Sean Wright

Shortly after buying our house we bought an oak mission bedroom set.... This was before I had barely any tools or a shop to use them in.... so making the bedroom set was out of the question at the time.

About 4 years ago, my wife asked for a vanity for the bedroom for Christmas. I looked around and wasn't able to find anything that I felt would work. At that point I decided to design and build one, (with the help of my Dad and his tools). Then I sat down with the CAD program and after almost 3 days, I had a design. I based the design heavily off of our existing bedroom set. This way after finishing, it would look like it was all part of the same set.

This was the 1st major wood working project (including design) that I tackled. (The biggest project was more of a construction project - building our deck - more on that in the construction area coming soon :D ). I enjoyed doing this so much, that I now have a bigger woodworking tool collection than my Dad, as well as my own shop in the basement.

These are pictures from before the vanity was stained. Currently I don't have any pictures from after I finished staining it.

Attachments

• pict1.jpg
    pict1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 47
  • pict2.jpg
    pict2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 23
  • pict3.jpg
    pict3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 46
  • pict4.jpg
    pict4.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 42
Boy Sean, that is impressive!:thumb:

I'm sure your wife was pleased with this one as well!

Nice that you and your Dad were able to work on it together.

A question, is there no drawer in the vanity? :huh:

That would be out of the question in my house :D

Hurry up and get some pics of it finished!! :wave:

Cheers!

Stuart,

I didn't design a drawer in to it. Then again, it was the first thing that I designed. My wife doesn't seem to mind the lack of a drawer. She uses it every day.

In addition, I had a piece of 1/4in glass cut to fit on the top as to preserve the wood.