Wind is whistling!

I hope it's whistling Dixie, or other warm thoughts. As you already know, we're bracing for a major kick in the pants here in the midwest. Beginning to think the groundhog is a prevaricator. Not berating the one in PA. We have our own just 6 miles away.
http://www.unadillanebraska.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=497&Itemid=133

If you look at the line-up of old cars, there is a '29 Model A Ford, a '34 Olds, and a '30 Olds, I'm driving the '30 Olds. Belongs to a friend of ours. The '29 Model A belongs to my son.

Anyway, stay safe Carol, and we'll hold our own here.

We're supposed to get a little bootfull of weather, doubt it's like what the midwest is scheduled for, but I sure wouldn't mind a little dumping of precipitation.

We didn't get anything but wind last night, but boy did we get some wind... it wasn't whistling though, it was howling. They said we could expect gust up to 60 mph and up in the mountains up to hurricane force.... today was beautiful though... about 55 or 60 degrees, sunny and bright.

Winds are 40-45 mph. No precipitation yet but coming. Up to 9" of snow in the mountains around this valley tonight, rain here. Winds will dissipate for the precipitation but be back by noon tomorrow. Slipped the woodworkers club meeting tonight. Winds too high and too cold. I'm a pansy.

The system you are seeing is headed here right now. There are fears of a repeat of the great ice storm of 2009. I'm going shopping later today. Making sure basics are in order. Plenty of candles, batteries, extra gas for generator, etc. Oh, yes, food I can eat cold. Wife is out of town, I can rough it OK.

I picked up several bags of pellets for the pellet stove and a 40lb bag of ice melt. Will get some fresh gas tonight and test fire the generator. We've got buried power lines, so will only be main lines that knock out our power, which should be back on in hours I think we have enough fresh groceries for the rest of the week, but given we're on a main road, only getting stuck in our own driveway will keep us from getting out (unless it's ice).

It started spitting snow here around 6 AM, just looked out at the back deck and there was about 3" on top of the rails already, but that's been mostly since 7 AM. Can barely make out the neighbor's house across the street, I'd say we've got some white-out conditions going here.

Ken, I brought in a ton of wood from outside this morning to have a few fires over the next few days...wish I had a stove I like them so much more than fireplaces, but the wood still get's to cracklin in the fireplace too! Snow hasn't even started and schools are letting out already? :huh:

Ken, I brought in a ton of wood from outside this morning to have a few fires over the next few days...wish I had a stove I like them so much more than fireplaces, but the wood still get's to cracklin in the fireplace too! Snow hasn't even started and schools are letting out already? :huh:

What? :eek: you brought wood in? are you not married? :rofl:
& I hear you on the school closings, remember working down south years ago and how a dusting brought about near collapse :D...dang media around here make 3-5 inches sound like chaos is upon us, when in reality it's about an average snowfall...:doh:

Greetings from the sunny Desert Southwest...

21%20Feb%202013%20Patio%20Snow.jpg

The snow here was real wet (great for snowballs) and the streets are only wet with no ice...probably be mostly dry by the end of the day.

Here are a few pics...

This one was about 7:30 this morning, the trees in the background are on the corner of my property, the houses just across the street(s) were not visible.
2013-02-21 07.58.27.jpg

One of our bird houses on the west side of the house and drift covered windows.
2013-02-21 11.32.36.jpg2013-02-21 11.33.57.jpg

The front of the shop and side view of the driveway, note the bench on the far side of the shop, have a 3' drift right in front of the house garage door, wind is blowing from the direction I'm standing so drifts aren't too bad down the length of the drive like they were 2 years ago.
2013-02-21 12.56.27.jpg2013-02-21 12.56.34.jpg

Still nada here...the place I work is closing at 4:30? That's in less than 2.5hrs...:huh: Even if it snows 3" and hour this doesn't make sense to me. I'm outta here at 4 anyway so it doesn't really matter to me. :D

EDIT: OK the snow has started and it's blowing sideways! Not looking forward to the walk to the car...in to the wind! :doh:

Last edited:
Lol i am glad to hear the white stuff is being spread around this year. Its been real cold up our way past few days. Could do with a break for a while now its getting a bit stale.