Reproduction Finials

I get a lot of miscellaneous reproduction/duplication jobs, and this one was one that was "short and sweet", yet interesting. A furniture refinisher contacted me about an ornate antique bed frame that had some finials lost in a move. I wish I had some photos of the bed, cuz it's a really intense design. Anywho, these were the parts that needed replacing.

Sidenote: For as much as I love making one of a kind woodturned sculptures, there is something very satisfying about spindle turning and duplication work. I somehow feel connected to the generations of woodturners that have come before me, especially given the rich woodworking history here in Grand Rapids, MI.

-Hutch

Attachments

• Walnut Finials.jpg
    Walnut Finials.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
That sucks to have to pull that out of a hat. On the otherside of the coin...you really pulled that stuff off Hutch! Well done and a big High 5!

Great work, Hutch. :thumb:

As a side note, when I saw the thread title, I thought it said Reproduction Finals. I was thinking to myself "Man, some people get to take all the fun tests at school." :D

Thanks all!

Ryan - This highly embellished bed has a huge headboard and footboard. The larger finials sat atop the corner posts, and the others were various decorations along the top of the headboard.

Vaughn - HAHA!

- Hutch