Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few More Arts & Crafts Pieces.

A Few More Arts & Crafts Pieces.

Someone should build these.

Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Interesting idea on the built in bench on a footboard, hadn't considered that before. I could see it being a nice feature. I also like the three middle uprights. My current new bed frame design was going to have uprights all the way across, but I might change my mind here at least on the foot board...

Would there be any reason not to do through tennons on all of the shelves in the stand (asking stylistically speaking)?

Ryan, the footboard is really a plate rack. It's only 36" between the uprights. I hadn't thought about it until reading your post but I suppose it could be scaled up to make boards for a bed.

I guess there's no reason you couldn't do through tenons on all the shelves. I just drew the model based on the original and didn't make any design changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Ryan, the footboard is really a plate rack. It's only 36" between the uprights. I hadn't thought about it until reading your post but I suppose it could be scaled up to make boards for a bed.
    Ah heh, when I saw my first thought was it was a bedframe component I can see the intended use now that you point it out.

Feel free to scale it up to bed size. You can then put more plates on the shelf, too.

I banged out another piece last night.

Someone should build these.
    Hmmmmm.....

One of my next projects, sometime this year, is a low bookshelf to go across the foot of my daughter's bed
    So far I have it sketched out like this: (36" wide, top shelf is 23" up)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m-low-shelf.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	73907

It's a bit plain so far, and I knew I had to do something to the design. You've got me thinking in an A+C direction now.

We'll see. I do sort of like the sides I've got.

...art

ps: it'll be built from Cherry, and that is her bed, which is more Shaker. So maybe A+C isn't quite right.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

A few minor changes to the little wall cabinet.

Or is it better painted?

I'm thinking if painted, it ought to have about 4 coats with maybe a light mint green down near the bottom and some bits of paint chipped off.

That reminds me of the medicine cabinet in the apartment I lived in in St. Paul before I committed matrimony. The apartment was a beautiful old place even if it was small. Early 1900s. Oak floors, wide oak trim. three large double hung windows across the front of the living room and a piano window on one side. Well, one day I was brushing my teeth and looking into the medicine cabinet. From before I moved in, there was duct tape around the edges of the back. While I was standing there I made the fateful decision to pull on the tape where it had come up. Before you know it I had removed all of it and the back of the cabinet fell into the wall. I about swallowed my toothbrush. I never did manage to get hold of the cabinet back but I wound up making a new back to replace the old one. In order to install it without removing the case from the wall, I made a frame and panel sort of thing. I cut the groove in the top rail a little more than twice as deep as the one in the bottom. Then I made the panel out of three pieces cut with lap joints running vertically. I installed the frame first with screws into the case through holes drilled down in the groove so they were invisible. Then I inserted one panel piece and slid it to one side. The next piece to go in was for the opposite side and the center piece went in last. They slipped up into the deep groove at the top and then sat down in the bottom groove. I glued the three panels together at their laps but left the panels loose in the grooves. When it was all finished the panel assembly wouldn't come out. I ended up stripping the paint off the medicine cabinet and discovered it was beautiful cherry. I'd have finished it with varnish but I could get all the paint off so I just painted it white to match the rest of the woodwork in the bathroom. The land lord never said anything about it.

Wow, I really like that design of the cabinet! I think I'm going to build something similar. Thanks for the idea!

A few minor changes to the little wall cabinet.
    Hey Dave, is that a rendering using Podium/Kerkythea/etc or is there a "soft shadows" setting in Sketchup that I missed?

Thanks.