Clear Coat for a Flamboyant Bird House???

Al Launier

I'm in the final stages of building a bird house for my wife & she has chosen the colors. She really wants the colors to "POP". Well, guess what?

She chose the following paints at Lowes & are Rustoleum Fluorescent paint in a spray can.:
  • Walls: Bright Neon Yellow
  • Windows & Door: Bright Neon Hot Pink
  • Roof: Bright Neon Orange
  • Steeple: Bright Neon Kelly Green
  • Base & Corner Posts: Bright White
The BH was made using leftover wood, basically MDF & CDX plywood in 1/2" & 3/4". Once I finish constructing a project, I do NOT enjoy painting or staining it. However, I sanded & sealed the wood completely using (1) part Titebond II mixed with (3) parts warm water. Then I used some leftover Bin Primer & Knot Sealer. Then up to six (6) coats of the various paints. The paint was so light it wouldn't lay down as solid as expected. But, it's done. The Neon paint came out flat (my preference), but the wife is disappointed with the lack of gloss. Frankly, if I was a bird, I'd be embarrassed to visit the joint. Heck, the colors might even scare away birds, or even cause them to attack it.

So now I'm wondering if a spray can of Clear Coat will provide a semi-gloss without changing the colors. If the brightness were lost, that "might" require a re-paint. Couldn't bear the thought of going through that again.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the effects of Clear Coat & what product you would recommend. It would have to be a spray application as I envision spraying the whole house at once.

first off AL for the next round of bird house construction and painting with neon colors is to first paint it white then the bright colors,, as for a clear on top, use something designed for exterior use like helmsman spray varnish its available in a can..

Thanks Guys.

Ken, I'm going to check into your recommendation at Lowes or HD.

Larry, you're right, however the primer I used was white (Bin Primer & Knot Sealer). Yet, the neon paint was very light & not as bright as I was expecting. Surprised at how many coats it took & still not as bright as the top of the spray can.

Picked up a spray can of Rustoleum "Crystal Clear Enamel". Supposed to be totally transparent. No yellowing, no fading or darkening of the colors, semi-gloss, and provides clear protection. Now how good is that! Thanks for your suggestions.