Wurlitzer 105 Band Organ

Mike Mier

I have been working on this organ for just over 2 years at this point with no much physical work being done. I do feel that I have done a lot of work. Most of the work was done in studying and mapping out how to do this. Like many plans, the plans that I am following give the key dimensions but are not all inclusive. They do not offer info about the Music roll drive system, just mention where you could have bought it 15 years ago. So like the drive , there are other things I have just never made and was not sure if I could even build.

I am starting on what I consider that hardest parts to build. The Unit Valves (pictured below), reeds/shallots and mainly the pneumatics.

I decided to start with the pneumatics which include the unit valves and move into the stack (where the unit valves connect to the valves for the pipes). The photos are of the unit valves and pneumatic finger.

The other challenge for me was building a trumpet pipe which this organ has 13. I build all 13 resonators, but only built a few reeds/shallots for them.

I am sorry to say at this point I am years out from finishing.

SCR_0001.jpgDSC03507.jpgDSC03506.jpgDSC03509.jpgDSC03512.jpg

Mike that looks like some very precise work you got going there. Looks good. Very clean and smooth. Just remember....each piece you make puts you one step closer to being done. Progress is always forward. Are you keeping good notes as you build? I wish I had kept better notes when I built my Senior 20 organ. I wanted to....but it seemed to never get done then I moved on to the next part.

Hi Mike
A few years back I started a 105 and finished the case, crank, wind chest, unit valves, stack. I never built the pipes or bellows. I had open heart surgery and was away from it for about Two years and lost interest and found I would need more equipment to finish the job. I sold it to a person that wanted to finish it and put it into a carousel. I have now built a JS Senior20 and I am in the process of building a Topsy 3. I was following Bob Humes Notes and plans which are very detailed. I still have all the info and pictures of my progress if you would be interested in any of it. I also purchased a roll frame from a gentleman that builds them. If there is anything I can help you with let me know. I also have all the info on the drive system.