Thread: Errors of old age and habits

Errors of old age and habits

I have found that as I age I make mistakes that I used to never make. I work on the neighbors farm feeding dairy cows average 2-3 days per week. We use a payloader to load the feed wagon and one of the perks is having that type of equipment around when I need it. Like moving the snow out of the driveway. Well, the neighbor asked me to take 3 large trees out of his fields. This was great because a friend of mine asked the same day to find him some hickory logs to saw into flooring. Two of the trees are hickory. I dropped one of them and got 3 logs out of it. So I bring the payloader out to the field and chain up the largest log thinking that it might fit into my pickup. I guessed it at 14 ft. so I thought it might fit in the truck. So I get it up and swing it over the box and promptly tilt the forks instead of lowering the forks. The issue is that when I approach the feed wagon I always tilt the bucket. Done it a 1000 times. Wrong move on putting a log in the truck. The chain slid off the forks before I realized what I was doing and kind of destroyed one side of the truck box.

It is an old 4x4 Dodge woods truck. I almost junked it a few weeks ago. Instead I put $420 into a tuneup and wheel bearings and was happy it was still going down the road. The log sits next to the barn because when I did put it into the truck it proved way too heavy.

I used to pride myself with my safety consciousness and care with rigging and moving heavy things. Nothing like humility. I wonder when my kids will take away my drivers license?
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

I was doing some stuff with my bobcat the other day. Working a little close to the trailer and I managed to crunch the passenger side lights right out of existence.

Can't compare to your experience.

Sure would have been nice to have had a video though...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

So, I'm pretty sure the first word you said was 'Oh', quickly followed by something that the CoC doesn't allow?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    So, I'm pretty sure the first word you said was 'Oh', quickly followed by something that the CoC doesn't allow?
    I think I might have had one or two of those "oh darn, golly gee...", or something, moments in the past year or two.....

Sorry about the truck Paul. But, if it's a woods truck, maybe an excuse to build a flat deck for it?

paul i cant believe you didnt think about the weight alone on that log hickory is heavy dry let alone wet.. man what crunch...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    paul i cant believe you didnt think about the weight alone on that log hickory is heavy dry let alone wet.. man what crunch...
    Yeah, even a little piece is heavier than you think it is going to be. It also dulls turning tools very quickly.

Everybody skips a gear once in-a-while.
    However, they do slip more frequently as the years pass by.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I may be getting old but my mind is as sharp as it ever was. And not only that, my mind is as sharp as it ever was.

I knew the log was heavy, but a guy has to see if the truck will take it. Too lazy to go get the trailer. When I dropped a smaller 8 ft. log off at the mill he had a 20 ft. x 3ft.+ diameter log (white oak) on the mill lift. Said he has to drag it away because the lifters couldn't lift it onto the saw bed, and his tractor can't pick it up. Wish I had a swing mill. Had my truck in the woods for years and only put a small dent in it. Fixed a rear window last week after my son tossed a block through it.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Quote Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
    I may be getting old but my mind is as sharp as it ever was. And not only that, my mind is as sharp as it ever was.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    What Vaughn said
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.