Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first project using Sketchup...

My first project using Sketchup...

I downloaded and started using Sketchup a couple weeks ago. Been playing around with it off and on but decided to get serious about it this morning because I didn't have anything else going on today. I don't have any hardware drawn on it yet, but here's the basic design of a blanket chest that I want to build. It's a pretty close replica of one I just refinished for a friend a couple weeks ago. I might even add some trim or maybe some inlay for decoration. I think I'm going to use 3/4 Oak ply for this one to see how it comes out. It's going to be roughly 42" long, 18" deep, and 21" high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blanket chest 3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	73909
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Looks like you've got a good start on your project, John.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Went out and picked up the material today. I've got all of the sides for both boxes cut and edge banded. It's late and I'm tired, so I'll pick it up again tomorrow. I should be able to get the boxes assembled tomorrow. Then I can cut the bottom of each box and the lid. This should be a pretty simple build and it's going pretty well so far. I'll post some pics as the project progresses.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Nice design John!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

It's almost addictive doing projects first in SU. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to plan it out there first, then take it to the shop.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

that's what happened to me brent. now i do everything on sketchup first.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I think I'm headed down that road too guys.

To tell you the truth, most projects I do come right out of my head and never make it to paper. I built a pretty nice 10x10 shed one time and didn't have a plan for any of it. It looks like I'm probably going to be getting much deeper into woodworking than I ever have, so the projects will end up being much more complex than stuff I'd done in the past. The other nice thing about Sketchup is that you can actually SEE what something will look like instead of having to visualize it.

It's 12:20 a.m. and my mind is racing. I'd love to be down in the shop, but the wife and son are trying to sleep so I don't think that would go over too big. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I think I can probably get the major construction done tomorrow. Looking forward to using the new Kreg Jig system I just bought. I tried it out on a couple scrap pieces of Oak ply I had laying around and was impressed at the strength of the joint WITHOUT glue. I'll be using glue for the fabrication of this chest so it's going to be SOLID.
    Last edited by John Pollman; 02-24-2013 at 05:23 AM.

An update to the design. I wanted to add some trim and I figured out what I wanted to do and how to draw it. I think I'm going to add a beveled edge to the top and some beveled trim to the bottom of the chest. Here's the updated drawing I just finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blanket chest 4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	73953

I should be able to finish up tomorrow. (at least construction) I've got the upper and lower boxes and the legs done. Tomorrow I'll cut the lid to size and glue up the solid wood edge on it. While the glue sets up, I'll make up the trim and install it and the legs. Then I'll put the chamfer on the wood edge of the lid and install the hinges. I've just got to find some hardware that I like and decide on a color. It's coming out pretty nice so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    It's almost addictive doing projects first in SU. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature to plan it out there first, then take it to the shop.
    Yep! I needed to make a simple utility stand to elevate the storage box LOML uses for birdseed outdoors. One board. One quick drawing as a sanity check. It works, thanks to Dave Richards getting me past my brain freeze last year!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station