Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: printer ink-RANT-question

printer ink-RANT-question

we have a epson nx625 printer thinking epson a good brand seeing as how we used there stuff in the printing industry,, well it rn out of ink and the better half decide to get a off brand that was supposed to work in there for less than some other store price well after a half day of trying to get it to work she called tech and they both worked on it and it wont accept there cartridges..they are going to return our money good for them ,, but here is first gripe the ink is half of what the printers cost these days,, and it doesnt make sence to replace printers after they run out of ink.. so is there anyone that has got a reliable source for ink refills that is reasonable or another insight on what printer to get that doesnt charge half of a printer for replacement ink?????
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    t here is first gripe the ink is half of what the printers cost these days,, and it doesnt make sence to replace printers after they run out of ink.. so is there anyone that has got a reliable source for ink refills that is reasonable or another insight on what printer to get that doesnt charge half of a printer for replacement ink?????
    I hear ya, Larry.

If you find a good printer that takes inexpensive ink, PLEASE tell me. I spent some time looking around a few weeks ago, but eventually gave up in frustration.

I picked up a 2nd hand HP 1012 laserjet (surplus @work, b/w) and I try to use that for most everything. Laser toner can work out to less per page than inkjet ink. It ran us in the $60 range at Costco, and lasts a good long time. The problem is that we still end up needing colour print fairly regularly. We have a Lexmark x4876 multifunction (scan, copy, print) for colour printing, and buying a black and coloured ink cartridge are about $50 each!! And they do NOT last that long.

I tried 3rd party refilled ink once on this thing and it was a bad experience. Got my cartridges refilled at "island inkjet", which is a chain around here in the malls. It did not print well, and leaked a bit. It was NOT a good use of money.

I would like to find a multi-function printer with cheaper ink, but I have not been able to. I checked out the colour laser multifunctions also, but didn't find anything there that seemed worth the price either.

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

The printer is the loss leader. The ink is the profit center. I rarely need a color copy, so I gave up on color printers. Use a Brother Laser printer - bought for the cost of the refills, purchased on-line.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

i use a kodak all in one printer. ink is fairly cheap, and the printer runs like a champ for what i use it for.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I've actually had bad luck with the ink refills on one printer in the past. Used some ink refills and the dang thing soon stopped printing.

I have a canon now that I like well enough. When it's time to get a new printer I'll start experimenting with ink refills again...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Like Brent, I've not had good luck with the refills. I've got two Epsons, but use the epson cartridges, which are the individual color ones, so they are at least less expensive than replacing the all-in-one color cartridges, only have to replace the color that ran out. I've had a couple of canons and would get them again, but prices really aren't any cheaper than the epson cartridges.

So what type of things do you mostly print? Flyers? Photos?

I try to manage my printing and limit it to B&W if possible, try to remember to set the output options to grayscale if I'm printing something that is for reference. For large numbers of photos we've got the photobooth dye printer, which does 4x6 prints for about $.05 per print vs. printing on the inkjet, which averages $.35 per print (though I'm not counting the cost of the dye printer itself which was about $1200 vs. the $100 inkjet). Another option for lots of photos is to send them to Walmart.com, CVS, Walgreens, etc., they can print them cheaper than one can with their own printer. Same with large quantities of flyers.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

In my experience there is no inexpensive way to go. Refills and off brands have always proven to be bummers for me. Some day, hopefully, somebody will produce a good inexpensive ink cartridge for home printers. I once shopped for a high quality printer that takes the big cartridges hoping bring the per page cost down. Guess wat? The cost per page is about the same, no savings at all.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Like Darren, I have moved to only black prints. I didn't use the color in the shop enough before it dried out or went bad, what ever happened to it. For prints, Cheryl uses CVS. If you do enough, you start getting coupons and they get really cheap.

One thing I did once, was hit the sales. Black Friday was the bomb. I could buy several printers, same models, cheaper than refills. When I needed ink, I just opened a new printer right out of the box and tossed the printer. Not very enviro friendly, but sure helped the wallet.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Larry, I have used several different printers both for general home use and for printing photo prints for customers. The one thing I do know is the refillable cartridges do not work 90% of the time. My mother calls me all the time with problems with her printer and it is always because she bought a refilled ink cartridge that does not work properly. The store is usually happy to refund her money but that requires another trip back to the store to return it. Ill bet most people just throw them away and write it off.

I have a nice Canon printer and only use Canon ink in it. The key here is like Steve mentioned above is to buy on sale and in bulk. Look for sales either online or in stores. Look for coupons or discount codes. Manufactures do not make money on the sale of the printer....only on the ink.

Save yourself the headache and only use original brand ink. I'm as cheap as they come and if there were a cheaper way....I would know!
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

that was what i told her to tom , but from a distance last night.... it was very stormy at my house last night today the sun is shinning again
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!