Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did this guy get the white stripe in the bar top??

How did this guy get the white stripe in the bar top??

Bottom picture in the column of pictures, how did he get the wavy white stripe in the bartop????

http://kokomo.craigslist.org/mad/3491818224.html
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Well he sure wasn't driving one of those rigs that paint the white line down the center of the highway (well maybe in San Francisco or Fallbrook).

Enjoy Jonathan,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

It's possible he did something like in this step-stool project???:

(Make a curve in one piece, make a template out of it, then use the template to route a clean edge on one side, then use the other piece to route a clean edge on the next board and glue it together.... I don't quite get it myself, even after watching that video. I'd like to try it sometime though, just to make it work!)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Good video---- well done!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Yes Art that was a great video. Ya think that is what was done on that bartop? I don't know, but think it is cool but won't cut my slab that I bought from Larry up to do that!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The picture isn't that great, but it kinda looks to me like it was just taped off when he stained the rest (on the last image possibly). Hard to tell, but it's interesting nonetheless....though I can't say I care for the final outcome. I do, however, enjoy a bookmatched slab that has the natural heartwood/sapwood making the color variation. That can look pretty sweet.

- Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 02-25-2013 at 07:57 PM.

I don't know how it was done in the ad, but this is how I would do it. I've not done this with that size material, but I think the concept would be the same.

First, find two pieces of wood the colors you want.

Then, attach them together. Some use double side tape, I like to use screws that will be cut off later. You have to make sure you have at least two screws on each side of the cut. For this demonstration, I'm using two pieces of the same wood sliced in two with my band saw. It'll work the same with two different species.

First cut.

Second cut.

Then glue everything together.

Sand it down and get this.

A couple of things to keep in mind. If you look close, you'll see there are a couple places on the curve that are not perfect. The reasons for this is twofold. First, this should be done with, at least, an 1/8" blade with lots of teeth on a bandsaw, or better yet, a scroll saw. Presently, I have neither. I used my standard 1/4" 6tpi. Second, no matter how small a blade you have, you have to cut the curve within the blade's curve capacity. When doing this type of work, you have to be very conservative with the curve you cut.

I started doing this to put hardwood tips on kayak paddles. A straight line joint was not very strong. By adding curves, I was able to add strength to the joint, and more glue surface. I've seen this process used on cutting boards also.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 02-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.

so what brings you over here john from SMC ? been awhile since i have seen your name pop up welcome to the other side of earth thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so what brings you over here john from SMC ? been awhile since i have seen your name pop up welcome to the other side of earth thanks for posting your thoughts on this thread
    Hi Larry,

I've kept track of Family Woodworking from the beginning. It's a great site. Being a basic wood butcher, I didn't really have anything to post until I saw this thread. About four years ago I got involved in consulting work, refurbishing vintage woodworking machines and wooden sailboats. Those things kept me inactive on all woodworking sites. This year I've completely retired and have all the woodworking machines I want. So, I've had time to get involved on woodworking sites again.

Good to hear from you all.

John

Well John I am glad you joined and got the time to share your expertise. Thanks
    cheers