Shop Fox versus JETmini

The below posted ad from amazon is a lathe I am considering. Looking for VS, don't want to spend a ton of money as I don't have it. But one son in law has gotten into turning, worked on my Craftsman lathe and it still isn't running right so don't want him to get soured on turning. Thinking of giving him my JET mini and replacing it with this. Is this a step up? Horizontal step? Or a step down? Anyone have this lathe? Comments, criticisms, concerns and all that jazz welcomed.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W175...61745029&sr=1-2&keywords=wood+lathes+for+sale

Jonathan I had that lathe but in grizzly green. It was all right for what it was ,As a matter of fact i tried to give it to Larry when he was here.:) Having never turned on anything but a Ridgid tube lathe, that one, and the 18" grizzly i have now I can't campare it to anything else.So just guessing here. I'm gonna say that the Jet will have to be the better lathe. Now i really ain't knocking this one just that i didn't like the banjo, The casting could of been better.The tail never did slide as good as it should of even though i'd wax and clean it quite often. Now i am i glad i bought it as at least it got me turning in the right direction. That piece of crap Ridgid wasn't worth even learning on.

which one jon. fina's hubby?

Nope, Eric, Tess' as you know. They guy he manages the doe herd for turns bowls and Eric has gotten the bug!

Jonathan I had that lathe but in grizzly green. It was all right for what it was ,As a matter of fact i tried to give it to Larry when he was here.:) Having never turned on anything but a Ridgid tube lathe, that one, and the 18" grizzly i have now I can't campare it to anything else.So just guessing here. I'm gonna say that the Jet will have to be the better lathe. Now i really ain't knocking this one just that i didn't like the banjo, The casting could of been better.The tail never did slide as good as it should of even though i'd wax and clean it quite often. Now i am i glad i bought it as at least it got me turning in the right direction. That piece of crap Ridgid wasn't worth even learning on.

Stephen, thanks for the frank information. That is what I was looking for. Guess I'll keep on looking. Haven't looked at a Steel City, or the Delta, will go back and look at those.

Jonathan I would steer clear of it unless he will be doing all spindle work. My BIL in NC had one. He couldn't put bowl blanks on it that weren't balanced and that were bigger than 10" blanks because the lathe would just shake at 600 rpm. He even put a ballast box on it with not much success. He sold it for a Jet 1642 vs and is now happy. That 600 rpm is way to high for big bowl turning IMHO. I generally start turning out of balanced bowls at 150 to 175 rpm.

If it were me Jonathan I would look at that new Jet 1221 vs with reverse 1 hp. Just my $1.298. Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/JWL-1221VS-12...d=1361760856&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+1221vs+lathe

Last edited:
Jonathan, I turn on the Grizzly version of that lathe. It works pretty good, but I don't think I would have bought it myself. (got it from my dad when he upgraded to the Jet 1642) I think you can see the trend here from Stephen, Bernie's BIL and my dad.

I think the new Jet 1221VS is probably the best starter lathe for the money for the features. Yes, you sacrifice the swing size but the VS w reverse is something I didn't get until my 3rd lathe. So I spent $1200 bucks on lathes before I got what I really needed. I still have a Reeves/indexed speed lathe (I won't say variable) and it served me well with no mechanical problems. Shop Fox has generally been a good brand name in woodworking but I think Delta/Jet are best in the startup lathe market segment. Sorry for all those folks using other manufacturer's lathes...I just don't have any experience on them to share. I love my Grizzly table saw.

I had a Jet 1014 for a gazillion years. Only had to replace the head bearings because I really overload the poor thing. Still have it for pens and stoppers, but moved up to a 1642. Jets are build like tanks IMHO.

Doesn't look to be variable speed:

Lever speed adjustment, 10 speeds: 600 - 2400 RPM...

Ryan's right...it's another Reeves drive. ;)

This is not the lathe you're looking for...

01+obewan.jpg

Jonathan I would steer clear of it unless he will be doing all spindle work. My BIL in NC had one. He couldn't put bowl blanks on it that weren't balanced and that were bigger than 10" blanks because the lathe would just shake at 600 rpm. He even put a ballast box on it with not much success. He sold it for a Jet 1642 vs and is now happy. That 600 rpm is way to high for big bowl turning IMHO. I generally start turning out of balanced bowls at 150 to 175 rpm.
http://www.amazon.com/JWL-1221VS-12...d=1361760856&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+1221vs+lathe

$799.00 at Woodcraft and a few other places right now Bernie.:thumb::thumb: Think you found the one that fits the bill for me. I like it. Have had excellent value from my JET minis at school. Thank you for bringing that one to my attention Bernie.:D I think it could be my last lathe.:rolleyes: Thanks again, will try to remember to post if I ever get all the coins together at one time to purchase it. :p:thumb::thumb:

The only concern I have on that Delta is the company repair. There seems to be a few on Amazon and a couple other sites that are having problems getting their lathes back or parts sent to them concerning the on off switch and VS. Otherwise, yes, when this one came out, I was drooling over it.

Your welcome Jonathan. You are right on the delta. My cousin has one that he can't get a switch for it. He wants a original switch and says he doesn't want to jury rig something to make it work. Anyway I am thinking of selling mini and getting the 1221. Jet has stood behind everything I have ever bought from them. Let me know if you get it. I will be interested in what your thoughts are and how you like it.