Rondel

Frank Fusco

My son is taking some martial arts classes in the use of medival, mostly German, weapons.
He asked me to make him a Rondel. It is a form of dagger only this is for practice. No real stabbing, hence the ball at the end.
This is from some well aged maple. Turning was a bit slow and I got some vibrations. It is 18" long. Fun project.
rondell.jpg

Looks good, I like the burn lines on it for appearance and the ridges on the handle should make it easier to grip (although I might still be tempted to wrap it).

Tell him to watch his fingers, those rounded faux blades will jump the finger guard worse than a real blade and can really smart! (note: I've never used those specifically, but did some sword practice years ago and got some good finger/thumb bruises in a similar fashion).

Now that is a nice little whacker smacker thingy ma bob. It may not kill anyone, but I but someone is going to say 'Ouch'.

OK, it's done. Added a little light stain. It is a dagger thingy, not a club. But it could be gripped at the small end and the other used as a persuader. Especially since it is hard maple.rondel finished.jpg