Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery

Recovery

After digging a path by hand the length of the driveway in 10" of wet snow for my little tractor to take little bites at a time....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-26 17.38.19.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	74086

Equals this....

Name:	2013-02-26 17.53.42.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	74088

and this....

Name:	2013-02-26 17.51.26.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	74087

It was one of those wet sticky snows that clung to the trees. Took out power all over, lost our cable/internet for about an hour this afternoon.

Name:	2013-02-26 18.10.23.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	74089
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If you would have just drank the regular instead of the light you could have skipped the ibuprofen!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    If you would have just drank the regular instead of the light you could have skipped the ibuprofen!
    Probably added that extra weight I needed to keep the tires from spinning too.

I did have to get "crafty" as I still don't have chains for the tires. I found a small chain I had around and cut two lengths just long enough to bolt the ends together around the tire through one of the rim holes twisted the chain to take any slack out and they did the job. As wet as it was I just couldn't get any traction at all.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    After digging a path by hand the length of the driveway in 10" of wet snow for my little tractor to take little bites at a time....

Name:	2013-02-26 17.38.19.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	74086
    Bummer.

Equals this....

Name:	2013-02-26 17.53.42.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	74088
    Bummer.

and this....

Name:	2013-02-26 17.51.26.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	74087
    Bummer.

It was one of those wet sticky snows that clung to the trees. Took out power all over, lost our cable/internet for about an hour this afternoon.

Name:	2013-02-26 18.10.23.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	74089

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Needed that.
    Darren

Bwahahahahaha.

I'd actually love to have that much snow. I think it'd be great to be snowed in for a few days. Not that it would change my lifestyle one bit.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yeah Brent i used to think the same.

We got the storm above us now.
    cheers

Probably added that extra weight I needed to keep the tires from spinning too.

I did have to get "crafty" as I still don't have chains for the tires. I found a small chain I had around and cut two lengths just long enough to bolt the ends together around the tire through one of the rim holes twisted the chain to take any slack out and they did the job. As wet as it was I just couldn't get any traction at all.
    To bad you are not a whole lot closer I have 2 or 3 different sets of tractor tire chains.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    To bad you are not a whole lot closer I have 2 or 3 different sets of tractor tire chains.
    I appreciate that. I really haven't had a need for them. Most of our heavy snows have been under 3", these last two were just some record breakers we haven't seen in a while. I got lucky on the first one and only had one drift up by the shop, but this one was about 14" to 18" down the length of the drive.
    Darren

Do your rims have holes in them? If you you can make some temp traction cords out of some rope, they certainly won't last a long time, but they will work, just keep looping the rope through the holes in the rim and around the tire, then use something like a piece of coat hanger bent up to finish the cord off. They will not work as well as chains, obviously, but they will turn summer tires into something that will get some traction in the snow. You could also use big zip ties.
    I've done it on a motorcycle, but never on a tractor, I'm sure it would work, but I'm not sure how long it would last. Make sure it is a rope that you don't mind using up.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward