glue line rip blade's

larry merlau

ok for those of who dont have the high end sliders and such, have any of you got some opinions on the frued glueline rip blade thats being advertised alot latly? got an old 24 tooth rip that works great for rippin but wont make glue line surfaces.. so fire away and voice your opinions.. thanks in advance.

bought one when amazon had them on sale. recently finished ripping 4000 lf of red oak for crown, base, casing and shoe moulding ( about 2000 bf of oak ). the blade is just now beginning to get dull, but it worked as advertised. so i purchased another to use while this one is being sharpened.

larry, i`ve never had a problem getting glueline rips from any decient 24 tooth rip blade on a cabinet saw.....as long as it`s not a thin kerf and you can get a fair shake price wise i`d say go for it....tod

The 30T GLR's typically leave a smoother ripped edge than a 24T FTG ripper, but aren't designed to operate efficiently in materials over 1" thick, so they're really not intended to replace your 24T ripper. As Tod stated, many 24T rippers leave a glueable edge. You can get glue ready edges from most decent 40 and 50T general purpose and combo blades too, and many of those will even rip thicker stock than the GLR's b/c they have a more aggressive hook, plus they yield a decent crosscut which the GLR's aren't known for. The GLR's do have the advantage of a durable triple chip grind so if you plan to rip alot of something like 1" hardwoods or MDF that needs a smooth edge, they're a great choice.

So they do work as advertised, but they are a task specific blade and aren't a necessity if you've already got a good general purp blade. Anyone know of any advantages I missed?

Last edited:
thanks for the main course

you dun served up the meat and tators now so i thank you all for the advice. i will have to take a look at your 24 tooth cut tod, mine was sharpened by an old timer and it cuts but she aint smooth.

I bought 2 of the freud 40T fusion blades, were on sale at amazon.

Been using one for a week now.

Nice smooth rips

The Infinity rip blades are impressive. They run about fifty two bucks for the full kerf blade as well as I can remember. Generally thay have free shipping on orders of more than $100 so I bought two last time.

I brought the Freud GLR on sale at Amazon. It did such a great job it made me go buy a new jointer. The GLR board edges were smoother the edges I was getting with my old (historic) jointer.