Anyone here drink Chrysanthemum Tea?

Rob Keeble

Bit of trivia but several years ago i got to spend quite a large amount of time in the far east. Initially in Singapore where i was introduced to Chrysanthemum tea. My first encounter was somewhat nerve racking since the teapot was visibly full of flowers and i had never thought of tea made from flowers. Having been brought up by an English mother, tea was big thing and no not iced tea, hot tea milk and sugar, heck even our dog drank tea when we had tea.

Well i found it to be really refreshing and relaxing drink and commented on it to my host. Well I received such great hospitality from my business associates in Singapore that come time to depart back to SA and they among the many gifts i get sent off with they hand me a bag full of Chrysanthemum flowers. I was surprised and delighted but had to decline the gift they were not that informed of customs practices in regards to transportation of plants and foods etc by passengers. This really caused a panic in the camp. No way was i going home without my favorite drink and so before we left for the airport i was taken shopping for tea. :rofl: Well in Asian countries this is a experience all on its own. But my host eventually found what he was looking for. See image below.

Chrysanthemum Drink packet.jpg

I got to home with a processed product which is a real nice drink. Its a granulated product something like instant coffee made with the flowers and honey and naturally the usual additions of glucose fructose and sucrose i guess to stretch what honey is in it. Its not that sweet but it makes for a real easy drink and pretty refreshing. I found it in the Asian supermarket not too far from us and it was a great treat to get back to drinking.

So if you would like a change from cold ice tea :) give this a try I promise its not as weird as it sounds. :D

Wow thanks Jim had no clue. I wonder how much would be prevalent in this processed product. Strange thing is its drunk in copious quantities in the far east and not in processed form. Warrants further research on my part before i drink anymore. Thanks for chiming in.