Craftsman Disc Belt Sanding Station Story

Dan Mosley

So I have been playing around making Pens - I watched a video where the turner squares up his blanks with a sanding disc instead of a barrel trimmer (which is what I use) - I found a older Craftsman sanding station for sale (see Pic below) - brought it home and started the de-rusting and cleaning - this thing was covered in rust and junk - wire wheel and abrasive padding on my air tool cleaned it up quick - added some wood and wheels for mobility - then took it apart and cleaned up all the slides and a bit of greese and it runs like a champ. I then looked online and found where I could order the 9" disks and the 6 x 48 belts so I figured I would order them and let it sit until they come in.
Well my son thought it would be a good idea to suprise me when I got home later today and showed me how he took a sheet of 3m sanding paper and cut a 9" circle and attached it to the sanding disk with 3m adhesive - did it work ? ohhhhhhhhh yeah it worked alright and im sure when I have to remove it to change its going to be a interesting adventure to get it all off.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh well he was jazzed so I let it go...........................
I still ordering the replacement belt and disks but I was going to ask if anyone has a easy way to get the old one off after using the spray adhesive ?...............LOL thanks

Attachments

• sander1.jpg
    sander1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 43
  • sander2.jpg
    sander2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 47
  • sander3.jpg
    sander3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 44
Looks good, Dan. Depending on the adhesive he used, it might be easier to remove the sandpaper than you think. If he used the non-permanent adhesive, you might be able to peel off the paper without too much problem. If it's the permanent stuff though, you should be able to remove it with naphtha or lacquer thinner.

By the way, it looks like you're set up to use the side of the pen blank as your square reference. I think you'll find you get better results using the tube itself as the square reference. Unless the hole the tube is inserted in is exactly parallel to the side of the blank, the ends of your pens will be out of square with the hardware.

I use BBQ lighter fluid to remove adhesive stuck things. Works well for many adhesives. Let it soak & then use a putty knife to scrape off the sanding paper.

Thanks for advice on blanks - lately i have been turning the Slimline-Saturn-Slimline Pro-Mesa click - I have been going away from the slimline because I do not think the ink tues are all that great really - the last two are good one but of course the kits cost more - been using woodturningz - I wonder if all these kits have the same quality tubes.............any back to the disk issue thanks for the tips on removal - and for now I like using the barrel trimmers.........just have to learn to sharpen but they are fast to use...............thanks Dan

Dan I have used brake cleaner, electrical cleaner and Goop adhesive cleaner. All work well. Just try to peel away an edge and spray it on the back side and keep pulling. Should come off without too much of a problem.

Barrel trimmers are a good idea Dan. There are some kits that they should never!! be used on; lazer etched, some segmented stuff. I stopped using Woodturningz kits...to many returns and failures. Lots better kits out there.

I've used the spray adhesive to do that before and haven't ever had a problem removing it. I use a little goop or goof off adhesive remove and a razor blade to clean things up.

I've read that a heat gun works good for this too. I haven't had my disk sander long enough to have to remove the sandpaper yet, but that is what I was going to try.

I've read that a heat gun works good for this too...

Going off topic here, but I've started using a heat gun (or even a hair dryer) to remove labels from things. Works great to remove old shipping labels from boxes that I'm going to re-use for shipping stuff.