mods to the DIY bowl lathe

neil mackay

Because my main lathe is not available for use at present. I have had to go back to the other lathe and do a few mods so its a little more approachable for what I normally turn.
Fitted a third pulley to get some low down rpm and plenty of torque, it'll run around 250 rpm up to 2800 rpm. Also fitted a indexing system 15,20,24,30 positions. It can be changed over to another disc with positions 36,45,60,90. Fairly simple set up that comes on and off by releasing a couple of 1/4" locking screws.

Attachments

• humac 004.jpg
    humac 004.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 29
  • humac 005.jpg
    humac 005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • humac 007.jpg
    humac 007.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 29
  • humac 008.jpg
    humac 008.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 27
Very nice. :Thumb: Did you make the indexing wheels or buy them from somewhere? I'd forgotten about your homemade lathe. It's very nicely built. I'll bet the gang here would love to see more photos of it. ;)

Very nice. :Thumb: Did you make the indexing wheels or buy them from somewhere? I'd forgotten about your homemade lathe. It's very nicely built. I'll bet the gang here would love to see more photos of it. ;)
Yep I made the discs to suit my requirements. I managed to borrow a rotary table drill off that. I choose the numbers they are [a] near to what I wanted all divide into 360 exactly. I dont have the time and patience to muck around with minutes-seconds of arc on a manual rotary table.

Further info I 'm building a web site to include all this and more, will add this to my signature when its done. Hopefully weeks not months.

Last edited: