If you were a bird would you visit?

Al Launier

Finally completed the bird house after 3-4 weeks of on & off effort (mostly off).

She chose all the colors, she wanted it to "Pop"! I'm not sure any self respecting bird would visit it. I can picture them doing a fly-by with a wing over their laughing their tails off. :rofl:

Now that I've fulfilled my obligation to my wife for getting me the Grizzly GO555LX I can start working on her the next piece of equipment. ;)

Absentmindedness allowed me my share of mistakes, but they are well kept secrets. :thumb:

Attachments

• Bird House 3-1-13-2.jpg
    Bird House 3-1-13-2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Bird House 3-1-13-3.jpg
    Bird House 3-1-13-3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Bird House 3-1-13-6.jpg
    Bird House 3-1-13-6.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
Bird house? I think not. That's a bird church. And a mighty fine one, at that. :thumb: I was trying to figure out why it would take three weeks to build a birdhouse, but after seeing the photos, I am beginning to understand. Great job, Al! :clap:

Thanks Guys, you're always very liberal with your compliments.

Bob, I noticed that you changed your Avatar. I like it, very patriotic. Is that a Mason's symbol on the lower right.?

That house is nice enough to give a bird religion. I don't think the colors will keep the birds away unless they are stodgy.

I am sure that it would sound great, however I hope that the Early Morning sounds from the carillon and the choir don't wake you.

Nice work and enjoy your birds,

JimB

Roof is doweled to walls, so it raises off to allow cleaning on interior if any dumb bird should occupy it. With my luck, it'll be a flock of sea gulls showing their displeasure. No perch, as that would invite larger birds that would rob the smaller birds, at least that is what I was told. Small birds presumably would have no trouble landing/entering through the front door hole.

...Never heard of not using a perch, but it seems to make sense :thumb: learn something new everyday :)

Al's right...most of the birders say not to use one, for the reason he mentioned. Also, the typical (decorative) birdhouse has the opening too close to the floor of the house. When they're made to the proper specs, the hole often looks too high, because we've had the "decorative" look ingrained on our minds. Al's looks like it's pretty right on (depending on the size of the hole and the birds he's his wife's trying to attract. :)

Here's a chart showing a bunch of dimensions...

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Building_Bird_Houses.html