Shaping edge on disk

Frank Fusco

Yesterday I was trying to make a project for my son. It involves two oak disks I cut on the bandsaw then trued on the lathe. I then tried to put an ogee on the edge with my mini shaper. I understand that with a circle I am cutting end grain about 99% of the time. Sadly, I couldn't do it. Invariably the shaper caught and ripped off a chunk of the disk.
Any suggestions?
BTW, I am considering recutting disks and just using the lathe to put an edge on them.

Are you trying to cut the entire profile in a single pass (and thus taking too big of a bite with the shaper cutter)? With that much end grain exposed (especially on oak), you might indeed be better off doing the edge on the lathe.

Yep. That is what I have decided. However, these are on 1/4" thick. I am going to go with plain ole pine and 1/2" wood for a redo. Doing oak end grain on the shaper, I believe, will always give fits.

Last edited:
chair risers.jpg

I had to make a set of discs to use as risers for a couch. basically 2 discs for each leg so 8 total. it was 3/4" oak and all of the discs got a round over edge. I did them in 2 passes and only had a tiny bit of tear out in like 3 of them Almost all of it sanded out

I am betting a round over is little easier than a simple ogee but I'm thinking not that different.

I'm thinking the bit might be a little dull or something else. Some thing tells me you can do it in oak. I mean if I can it can not be impossible. I'm not that good.