Track saws: Festool vs DeWalt vs Makita

While I am in the midst of several planned equipment upgrades, I thought I'd consider one of these. They all look pretty good on paper, and the relative price differences are about what I expected to see, but I would like to get some user input if possible. I would be inclined to go with the Festool if I thought that the cut quality and ease of use were clearly the best of the three, but I've heard it said that the DeWalt is virtually as good. Have heard nothing about the Makita, but I like some of their other stuff. In any case, I'd probably opt for a 6 1/2 inch unit.

If anyone has an opinion they'd care to share, I'd appreciate it.

Tony

Can't speak for the DeWalt or Makita, but I have the Festool 55 (6½"), and I like it a lot. It's easy to use, cuts accurately, and the OEM blade (48 tooth) cuts splinter-free in most woods. The saw comes with a 55 inch guide, and I added another, and the connectors, to make a 110" setup for ripping plywood sheets.

BTW, the Festool rep for my area doesn't recommend the bigger saw for anything other than framing type work. He also said the 24 tooth blade the bigger saw comes with isn't suitable for plywood or splinter-free cuts. You'd have to upgrade the blade for that (additional cost).

I have the Festool near as I can tell the Mikita is the same just painted blue. The Dewalt might be fine but just looks and feels to clunky to me.

I also have the Festool 55. It's probably the only Festool I'll ever buy, but it's fantastic. I bought before the Dewalt came out. I like a lot of the Dewalt features better, like the 2 way track. But if it's about the same money, I'd probably stay with the Fessie. If the Dewalt (or Makita) saved some bucks, I'd go with them.

I have a set of tracks I bought that you attach your own saw to a slider to use on. They work, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd get the festool...

One of the problems with mine is that it robs you of some height. Not a big deal for breaking down sheet goods, which is about all I use it for.

I can't comment on the others, but I recently purchased the Festool TS 75 and have no regrets. It came with a 75" rail and I purchased the 118" rail also. I use fair amount of thicker material and wanted the extra depth of cut. It's first job was straight lining some cherry slabs I had milled several years ago and it cut them (2 3/4") like butter. Same results from straight lining some thick maple for a bed project. I'm glad I got the long rail. The saw seemed much lighter than the 30 year old craftsman it replaced and was easy to handle.
BED 007 (Small).JPGwood 016 (Small).JPG

Seems I recall some other threads discussing various track saw options, either here or over at the Creek, and there was another brand whose name I can't recall and a new Grizzly now in the mix. You might look at those also. I went with Festool because of the rail system and integration within their tool line.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Track-Saw/T10687

I have the TS75 (I bought it for a couple of specific projects the 55 didn't have enough cut depth for), and frankly the edges fantastic and glue ready (I've had people ask me how I sanded the edge of the plywood that smooth.. nope no sanding needed). The Makita and Dewalt came out slightly after I bought the F$, or I might have gone for one of those just based on price alone. I can't fault the festool quality in any way shape or form, but would have to look hard at the Makita if doing it again (it has more cut depth than the TS55, close to the TS75 and about the same as the dewalt).

One other thing to note: this won't replace your skill saw! At least with the FT it doesn't work so well off of the rail, the plunge action and smooth base make it squirrelly and (imho) dangerous to use. So I still have and would recommend keeping a skill saw for rough lumber work :D

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/tools/tool-reviews/plunge-cut_saws
Worth noting from there:
"All three plunge-cut saws ride and operate on a Festool guide rail. However, Festool’s saw rides on a Makita track, but not on a DeWalt track."
The Makita and Festool rails will actually connect to each other.

The one (really) nice thing about the festool setup is how the tools work together. I also have an OF1400 and use the shelf pin jig on it with a rail to cut dadoes in sheet goods (clamp the rail, I have a couple of pre-cut standoff blocks to help position it correctly, put the router on the rail and done!). The shelf pin jig with the rail with pre-boarded holes is also the fastest way to drill shelf pin holes pretty much ever (except maybe a gang drill).

Also note that the F$ and the Dewalt have riving knives the Makita doesn't, they help some.. I also use the back stop on the festool rail somewhat religiously after getting lazy once and having it jump back on me in a plunge cut.

More details than you may actually want........

I bought an early Festool track saw about 25 years ago. If I still had it, I might think it not all that great but it was incredible at the time. The track was much simpler than any I've seen lately. It seemed to grow legs and walk off a few years ago just about the time I needed it again.

There were now more competitors and I have a bunch of Makita tools that work well so I decided the Makita at $279 would be good enough. It worked very well until I tried the Festool TS55.

Festool has anti-splinter on both sides of the cut. Inside anti-splinter from the strip attached to the rail and outside by another device that goes on if you need it. Makita cord is WAY, WAY too short and extension cords tend to catch at just the wrong time and screw up expensive material. Plan on taking the tool apart and hooking up a longer cord. Festool has removable locking cord that works well. Festool has a riving knife. Makita has anti-tip on track, which might be a help for beveled cuts. I can't tell you since I don't use it to bevel cut. Dust collection is better on Festool but only thing I see different that would affect that is the riving knife. Makita is supposed to be stronger motor but I don't know that I've noticed. Anyway, I had a shop for the Makita to go to and the cord is permanently attached to a vac hose that are connected to the ceiling with springs to hold them out of the way. Only one good edge is still a problem. I bought the TS55 for myself.

Later, Dewalt blew out their excess stock of track saws and a friend bought one for $368 with two tracks 59" & 102" tracks. It feels much more crude than either of the others and the plunge feels awkward compare to the tilting plunge of the others. The track is less stable than the others but the tool can run on either side. Other items like a router don't interchange between the two so you might want to consider what else you might buy that works on the track. Also, 102" track is too short to properly cut 8' plywood. The 106" Festool only does it properly for a straight cut and then only with the TS55, not the bigger TS75.

Speaking of the TS75, it is a beast and not as nice to use. Dust collection is poorer and blades are way more money.

Mafell is Festool price or higher (!!!) but their saws are interesting for non-US buyers. Bosch is supposed to be selling their track saw any year now. It is a Mafell in Bosch colors. Bosch is working towards dust collection.........

There are also at least 7 different track saws being marketed at the low end including Grizzly, Sheppach, etc. Tracks are not compatible, they come with poorer blades, etc. However a cheap track saw may be better than nothing.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the Grizzly track saw. Just can't justify the price of the Festool ts55 and I just didn't think it was all that great when I used it.

I've looked at them several times, but haven't been able to justify the cost of one. Probably 98% of my skill saw usage is breaking down sheet goods, which I finally made a zero clearance plate for it to help with veneers splintering. I may be able to justify the Grizzly version, but it is a little bit smaller motor. The Makita is appealing, and for sheet goods I probably wouldn't need the riving blade anyway.

I see that Bosch has a UK plunge saw version, but haven't seen it in the US market yet. Given my satisfaction with all my other Bosch tools, I would be interested in seeing it.

I have had the festool ts55 for several years now and it has performed very well. I have the 9 and 5 foot tracks with the connectors andhave used them together many times to straighten long lengths before putting them on the jointer. (think 8/4x10x12 foot brazilian cherry) cutting underlayment counter tops. all kinds of uses. My only complaint is the rubber edge indicator. replacements NEVER stick so I gave up on them and just allow a little extra when it matters and final size on the table saw.
My advice, since none of these models are inexpensive, would be to ask yourself how often you will use it. if its only on occasion then I wouldnt invest the money. you can do just as well making a guide out of 1/4" plywood. If it is something you will use a fair amount then I can say you wont be disappointed with the festool. I cant speak for the other brands as I have not had experience with them. DeWalt is famous for coming out with a great product then cheapening it over each successive model year. just something to keep in mind.