The panel chest, start to finish. (well almost)

John Pollman

Still trying to decided on the color, but here's a pictorial review of my latest chest project from start to finish. I bought the material Monday morning, and I took these shots at around 12:30 on Wednesday. I really like this one and I hope it sells so I can make more. That Kreg pocket hole jig makes projects like this a breeze!

pc1.jpgpc2.jpgpc3.jpgpc4.jpgpc5.jpg

Yep, that's how I did this one. Actually, After the rails and stiles were all assembled and sanded, I used a chamfer bit on the outside and put a little bit of a bevel on the outer edge. Then I used a rabbeting bit to cut the rabbets for the panels. Then I set the panels in place and used some 1/2" material with a 1/4 x 1/4 rabbet and ripped it down to 3/4 wide. I used that to hold the panels in place. In the future, I'll probably cut a slot in the rails and stiles and then just insert the panels as I assemble the piece. The way I did it took a little more work, but at this point I was more concerned about what the piece would look like on the outside.

yeah, I was looking at the inside, was wondering why you didnt just use some small pins and glue and hold the panels in place, but then I realized how visible the inside is also.
Im thinking of making the wall panels for my attic bedroom the way you did it. Kreg screw it all together, then rabbet out the back for panels. Id only pin and glue them in place since its going to be secured to a wall.
I believe the chest is certainly a winner, hope you sell alot of them
what species is it made out of? pine, maple or poplar

The panel sections are made with solid poplar and 1/4" birch ply. The legs and trim are all solid poplar. The back, bottom, and lid are 3/4" Birch plywood. Now that I know it works and looks OK, I think I'll just cut 1/4" slots in the rails and stiles before assembly. Then glue and screw the bottom rail and stiles in, slide the panels in, and then secure the top rail.

...Now that I know it works and looks OK, I think I'll just cut 1/4" slots in the rails and stiles before assembly. Then glue and screw the bottom rail and stiles in, slide the panels in, and then secure the top rail.

That's how I'd do it. I'd also cut the stiles a bit long and put tenons on both ends. Run the dados (slots) full length in the rails, and only put glue on the stub tenons of the stiles. Let the panels float.

John, if you don't mind me asking. What are you wanting for it on CL? I've tried to sale a few things on CL around here and found that people are looking for yard sale prices or less.

I also hope you sale a bunch!

I put it up on CL for $450. We'll see what happens. Personally, I think that's a fair price for a piece like this. Maybe I'm out of my mind, but I don't think you'd go into a furniture store and buy a piece of comparable size and quality for less than that.

Thanks guys. No inquiries yet, but I'm glad to hear that at least a couple of you out there think it's a fair price. I'm selling this one that is finished on CL and the ad states that I'm selling them "built to order".

I'm not going to make a bunch of them on spec. I think that a customer being able to specify a custom size and finish adds a decent amount to the value of a piece. That is worth something.