My Shop (Ok, it is really heaven)

I thought I would post some pictures of my shop. Built it in the summer of 2009 but did not finish it until 2011. Up until that point it was filling up with "stuff". Finally decided that the stuff has to go and I was going to finish my dream shop. It is a stand alone building. The shop space itself is 20'x30' but the building is 32'x30 overall. There is a 12' overhang that my boat sits underneath that really cannot be counted although I have toyed with the idea of enclosing it and kicking the boat out. :)
The shop is wired for 220 and has 10' ceilings. I learned many years ago that an 8' ceiling in a woodworking shop does not work well. Swing that 8 foot board or piece of plywood around and there goes a chunk out of the ceiling. I finished the bottom 40" of the shop off with knotty hickory. It gives it a nice finished look plus protects the walls from holes (dropped pipe clamps or rolling a machine up against it). The floor is concrete with an epoxy finish. Wood stove for heat in the winter and window air conditioner for cooling in the summer.

DSC_0571.jpgDSC_0577.jpgDSC_0700.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0196.jpgDSC_0197-1.jpgDSC_0198-1.jpgDSC_0200-1.jpgDSC_0197-2.jpg

What a wonderful get-a-way. Heavan is right. What is the tall shallow cabinet on the left? Inquiring minds want to know.

What a wonderful get-a-way. Heavan is right. What is the tall shallow cabinet on the left? Inquiring minds want to know.

I believe what you are looking at it is my plywood storage solution. It is just a tweak over 8' tall, 48" deep and about 12" wide. It is on two hinges and swings out from the wall with a single wheel riding on the floor. Once swung out I can then slide plywood in or out of it for storage. It has served me very well for years.

Ditto to all the others. What make/model is the surface sander?

Well.... that surface sander is a Hoffman sander. :) I made that sander from scratch years ago (maybe 23 years?) along with my father in law. I did most of the design work and some of the fabrication. The majority of the fabrication was done by my father in law. At the time, I was thinking about getting into woodworking as a career and really wanted a wide sander to even out glued up panels. I felt that the commercial ones were way too much money or not stout enough for what I wanted. So I decided I would build my own. It has a 1/4hp geared motor driving the conveyor belt and a 5HP 220v main motor driving the drum. It works absolutely awesome. I have gotten into the mode of keeping 100 grit paper on it and after the piece that I am sanding is either flat or to the thickness that I desire I then use my Mirka DC Random orbit to take care of the rest (the Mirka is the best hand held sander I have ever owned BTW). I have had people ask me if I would sell it but I can't (even though I would like a wide belt sander). My father-in-law was instrumental in introducing me to this hobby and we worked on this together. He has since passed away and every time I use that sander I think of him and how we worked together on it. I could have a whole write up on how that thing is built but not sure where I would post that...

I believe what you are looking at it is my plywood storage solution. It is just a tweak over 8' tall, 48" deep and about 12" wide. It is on two hinges and swings out from the wall with a single wheel riding on the floor. Once swung out I can then slide plywood in or out of it for storage. It has served me very well for years.

WOW what a GREAT idea I'm gona steal it.....:whistling:

Well.... that surface sander is a Hoffman sander. :) I made that sander from scratch years ago (maybe 23 years?) along with my father in law. I did most of the design work and some of the fabrication. The majority of the fabrication was done by my father in law. At the time, I was thinking about getting into woodworking as a career and really wanted a wide sander to even out glued up panels. I felt that the commercial ones were way too much money or not stout enough for what I wanted. So I decided I would build my own. It has a 1/4hp geared motor driving the conveyor belt and a 5HP 220v main motor driving the drum. It works absolutely awesome. I have gotten into the mode of keeping 100 grit paper on it and after the piece that I am sanding is either flat or to the thickness that I desire I then use my Mirka DC Random orbit to take care of the rest (the Mirka is the best hand held sander I have ever owned BTW). I have had people ask me if I would sell it but I can't (even though I would like a wide belt sander). My father-in-law was instrumental in introducing me to this hobby and we worked on this together. He has since passed away and every time I use that sander I think of him and how we worked together on it. I could have a whole write up on how that thing is built but not sure where I would post that...

Now that is cool! Probably under the New Tool or Used Tool forums would be fine if you want to post a write up, would love to see it and some detailed pics. Was something I thought I might try building sometime too. For what they are, they aren't all that complicated from what I can tell.