Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control?

Gun Control?

Delete as per request from moderators...
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 03-08-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

The main concern with most gun owners and a list of who owns what, like earlier this year where one of those lists got publicized. For thieves it tells them what is where. Also, with history, any country that has created this so called "innocent" list of guns and owners, eventually it led to a round up of those guns and owners. In the late '70's when we released all of the institutionalized people, here in Indiana that institution became a prison, half of the people returned as inmates. We as a nation need to do better with mental health. Anyone that has a troubled person in their family or neighborhood or church knows how hard/difficult/impossible it is to keep these people on their meds or get them to help in a timely manner.

It is always easier to keep track of the law abiding section of society. It is easier to confiscate from law abiding people as we generally won't resist. That list you speak of will not be responsible for probably 75% (my own number pulled from the air) of homocides/burglaries/home invasions/etc. We need to enforce what laws are on the books. Last week in my area newspaper there was a 20 something person sent to jail for 2nd offense small amount of marijuana. Same day, same paper, same court jurisdiction a woman got 90 days served as punishment for 2nd offense drunk driving and she killed three people she hit in another car! Just trying to explain, we have the laws on the books, but the interpretations based on who you are is ridiculous. A first time law abiding person that has no illegal information to share with the police or can turn on someone worse than them, gets a harsher sentence than career criminals. It isn't just firearms.

To put it in perspective, kind of like the uproar that went through the woodworking community when the saw stop inventor tried to coerce his product into every shop making all others obsolete and/or illegal. How would you like to be required and inspected that your saw was a sawstop and the other was destroyed??
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    The main concern with most gun owners and a list of who owns what, like earlier this year where one of those lists got publicized. For thieves it tells them what is where. Also, with history, any country that has created this so called "innocent" list of guns and owners, eventually it led to a round up of those guns and owners. In the late '70's when we released all of the institutionalized people, here in Indiana that institution became a prison, half of the people returned as inmates. We as a nation need to do better with mental health. Anyone that has a troubled person in their family or neighborhood or church knows how hard/difficult/impossible it is to keep these people on their meds or get them to help in a timely manner.

It is always easier to keep track of the law abiding section of society. It is easier to confiscate from law abiding people as we generally won't resist. That list you speak of will not be responsible for probably 75% (my own number pulled from the air) of homocides/burglaries/home invasions/etc. We need to enforce what laws are on the books. Last week in my area newspaper there was a 20 something person sent to jail for 2nd offense small amount of marijuana. Same day, same paper, same court jurisdiction a woman got 90 days served as punishment for 2nd offense drunk driving and she killed three people she hit in another car! Just trying to explain, we have the laws on the books, but the interpretations based on who you are is ridiculous. A first time law abiding person that has no illegal information to share with the police or can turn on someone worse than them, gets a harsher sentence than career criminals. It isn't just firearms.

To put it in perspective, kind of like the uproar that went through the woodworking community when the saw stop inventor tried to coerce his product into every shop making all others obsolete and/or illegal. How would you like to be required and inspected that your saw was a sawstop and the other was destroyed??

Hit it on the head there Jonathan
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

This subject is not necessarily political, but it is indeed divisive. Probably best to leave it alone.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    This subject is not necessarily political, but it is indeed divisive. Probably best to leave it alone.
    yup, sawstop is a real hot button topic....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

There are lot's of reasons why good people have guns. There is only one reason why criminals have guns. As a long time shooter, I've looked at all the legislation presented and other than background checks on all transactions, I didn't find anything that would keep guns out of the wrong hands.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    yup, sawstop is a real hot button topic....
    Yeah I ain't touching that one with a hundred foot pole, people on both sides get right up in arms (you might say) about it.

The whole argument seems kinda silly, I mean missing fingers are a badge of pride for real woodworkers right?

Ryan - who still has all of his fingers partially intact.

The problem with common sense is that its so uncommon....

Moderators asked that I pull this down, I don't want to create any problems for either the site or my friends here...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Moderators asked that I pull this down, I don't want to create any problems for either the site or my friends here...
    Agree. Talking about the U.S. Constitution should be censored immediately.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Oh Shoot !
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com