Guess what, we are in Florida!!!

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well I guess it is time that we start a short thread of our own instead of hijacking others:) to start out we (the Merlau's & Niemi's) decided to have a spring trip. Decided on Florida to the fact that we have access to a family time share on the Atlantic Ocean close to Melbourne. We started our journey in Asheville, NC with a visit to the Biltmore Estate, http://www.biltmore.com/ what an incredible place, then ventured to Bill Arnold's (http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?29794-Family-Visits-Are-Great! In southern Georgia. Then to our destination in Florida. While there we were happy to hook up with Pete Simmons, since he lives 12 miles from the condo it was a perfect fit http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?29806-Will-Florida-ever-be-the-same and finally met up with Joe Ice. Now this trip is our vacation and not a tour d' wood, we were still able to sneak in some visits and they were all great THANK YOU all who we met for your hospitality and kindness for letting us visit with you.
Along with visits, Larry and I were able to have a day on the water fishing with a local guide, even though we came home empty handed, it does not get any better than spending the day with your best bud on water:thumb: we took a air boat ride, visited a local zoo, quilting shops, antique shops, seafood restaurants,.....did I say seafood restaurants:D even he a few cold ones:thumb: well most pics have been posted but I have a few more to add, just have to switch computers to add them:)

1 Larry Randi Biltmore.jpg2 Tom Joy Biltmore.jpg3 Air Boat.jpg4 baby gater.jpg5 BIG gater.jpg6 Fishin.jpg7 Larry vacationing.jpg

Last edited:
I'm betting people are going up to Larry and complimenting him on his show Duck Dynasty and asking him for his autograph.:D

thats one beautiful ocean, the atlantic, isnt it.

biltmore is an incredible place to visit, we were there in 2003.

if you guys decide to take the northeasterly route home, let me know.

I'm betting people are going up to Larry and complimenting him on his show Duck Dynasty and asking him for his autograph.:D

OK, Brent wins the thread. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It looks like a great time for all four of you. :thumb: I'm kinda trying to wrap my head around the idea of Larry at the Biltmore, but I'm sure they've seen a lot worse than Larry. It is North Carolina, after all. :D

Looks like you guys and gals are having a good time on your trip! It was great having you in our home for a while. After you left, Bobbie and I drove to the Birmingham area to see her folks but were happy to get back home! :)

You guys probably crossed paths with my parents...they are on the way home from FL via South Carolina and then west to Iowa. I think there somewhere in smokey mts. right now.

Larry, yes they heard and high tailed it out of there!:rolleyes: Actually, they were between Savanah, GA and Charleston, SC while you where at Bill's house so probably kinda close, but not real close. They just stopped to make lunch in Danbridge, TN just east of Knoxville, so quite a bit north of you now.

well we only caught one small sea trout and that was it they were not biting at all,, as for the air boat ride, well i have rode in them before and drove them even but ti was worth it to see the beter half get scared when he made a donut machine for a spin twice:)

Well were home safe and sound and 40 degrees warmer and 12" less snow than when we left. Had a Great time in Florida, don't know if we left any seafood there:p. Thanks to the few we had the privilege to meet up with, you were all GREAT to have the privilege to meet:thumb: really justifies the true meaning to family woodworking:thumb::thumb::thumb: before I pass out on my recliner I have to thank Larry and Randi for going with us, we had a blast with you in ALL aspects of our vacation, so till later, good night :wave:

well tom sleep tight,, and your one tough road warrior:) hopefully i wont get bit tomorrow when i go get charlie, didnt have time to get him tonight:) and i to want to thank those that took time out of there schedule to meet up with us and have a nice visit together:) the next stop will be in??/// never know anymore:)