Did a couple of goblets today with captured rings... my first time to ever attempt the rings..
They turned out okay, but not sure what the best way to sand the rings and smooth them up. I wound up taping a strip of sand paper to the stem of the goblet and hand sanded the rings with the lathe turning the goblet... suspect there must be a better way.
These are teak (at least that is what the wood was marked... I got this in a wood buy from a fellow who had to give up turning due to some lung issues.... he had a nice collection of some fabulous wood that I got nearly dirt cheap.) The goblets are just under 9" tall and just under 3" diameter. The ring is 2 1/2" diameter. They're unfinished, but planning to use polyurethane and maybe a plexiglas finish on the inside so they can be drunk from.