Another WIP - captured ring goblets

Chuck Ellis

Did a couple of goblets today with captured rings... my first time to ever attempt the rings..

They turned out okay, but not sure what the best way to sand the rings and smooth them up. I wound up taping a strip of sand paper to the stem of the goblet and hand sanded the rings with the lathe turning the goblet... suspect there must be a better way.

These are teak (at least that is what the wood was marked... I got this in a wood buy from a fellow who had to give up turning due to some lung issues.... he had a nice collection of some fabulous wood that I got nearly dirt cheap.) The goblets are just under 9" tall and just under 3" diameter. The ring is 2 1/2" diameter. They're unfinished, but planning to use polyurethane and maybe a plexiglas finish on the inside so they can be drunk from.

goblet 001.jpg

Nice job, Chuck. That does look like teak to me. I recently tried a couple of captive ring goblets myself, so what I say can and should be taken with a grain of salt. Your way of sanding the rings using sandpaper taped or rubber banded to the stem is the same way I did it and it worked good. Just be sure the outer part of the ring is round and sanded before parting. A niece of mine is getting married in June, and I'm hoping to give a captive ring goblet as a wedding present, that's why I'm practicing. The first one I did had two 1-1/2" rings interlocked around the stem. My wife thought the rings looked too big so the second one has only one 1-1/8"x3/16 ring. It started with four rings in case I screwed one or two up. Turned out I screwed up three...thus only one ring. You might want to try two rings interlocked. It really raises that "how'd you do that" question from lookers.

When I was in grade school my granpa Black came out to Calif to visit for a couple weeks. My dad purchased a Sear's woodlathe because granpa did woodturning and other wood stuff. He took some of our orange tree cut-offs and turned some goblets with rings. I thought that was the neatest thing under heaven.

Thanks for the fond memories. I still have one of the goblets. I bet the person(s) who receive your goblets pass them down to their kids.

Enjoy,
JimB

G'day Chuck,
Frank Evans gave a great demo for a captive ring goblet at our club..... http://www.mandurahwoodturners.com/
Frank sands his rings be using a 5mm wide strip of sandpaper fed through the ring & gentle worked back & forth while the lathe is running.
A good tip he told us was to cross your hands while sanding as this makes for a better shape on the inside of the rings.

HTH

Col

G'day Chuck,
Frank Evans gave a great demo for a captive ring goblet at our club..... http://www.mandurahwoodturners.com/
Frank sands his rings be using a 5mm wide strip of sandpaper fed through the ring & gentle worked back & forth while the lathe is running.
A good tip he told us was to cross your hands while sanding as this makes for a better shape on the inside of the rings.

HTH

Col

That's a cool idea... next goblet with rings I'll have to try that.

How did the teak turn? I've always heard it is a bear on tool edges.

Very nice looking goblets!

I didn't have much trouble with the teak... it was very dry and came off more a sand like dust rather than shavings... didn't seem to do any real damage to the tools... but my tools were just all touched up on my friends slow speed grinder the day before, so I was working on brand new edges.