Laminate adhesive

Guy Bratt

Hello I've been working on a sewing cabinet. I plan to install a plastic laminate top.
For practice before I do the real top I'm using the cut offs to make a router top to fit my table saw.
I bought Wilsonart 700A spray adhesive. As I was spraying it on it seemed to pulsate. It appeared to spray steadily at that rate. I was afraid I was leaving unsprayed areas so I sprayed the surface over 3-4 times.

Has anybody used this spray? Was once acrossed enough? How do I know how much is enough if once isn't?

Thanks
Guy

One coat on each surface should be plenty as long as you are not moving too fast during application. Adhesives do not go on smooth with a 100% coverage out of a spray applicator. That's what I use and I just make sure to have covered every area once.

I had the same problem when I used spray adhesive. I could not tell how much I was putting on. After I was finished I came up with the idea of spraying a small piece of scrap with one light coat to see how it stuck.

turned out I used way more spray adhesive than was needed. You probably did also. I have since learned that too much actually makes a weaker bond but my laminate top is still secure so I don't think i did any harm with the amount I used.

I think 2 light passes is best in perpendicular directions. A little goes a long way but no dry spots. it is hard to tell.

I've used spray, 3M 1077 (I think that is the number) for fabrics, but never for plastic laminate. I always use the Weldwood Original for the laminate, with a 1" short nap roller, 2 coats on each surface. Haven't had an issue yet with surfaces ranging from 27 X 48 (TS extension), two each of 8 X 120 and 13 X 120 (multifunction wall cabinet infeed and outfeed surfaces), 36 X 54 (the Router Table) and the largest 42 X 64 (my assembly table). It's all I'll trust for plastic laminate. Jim.