Ash croch, winged bowl

I've been doing a lot of ruff turning the last week. Had some large maple given to me, and i've been trying to get to them before they go bad. Well today i got tired of not being able to finish anything as there all to wet. I had this ash crotch sitting on the floor just whating for the day to do something with it. Been sitting there for at least a year or longer. So i put it on the lathe,not knowing what i was gonna do with it. Did think of Jim B, and almost took a bunch of pics, but as i started it started looking good. Didn't know it was spalted as it still had the bark on it. Well this is what it became. Did this from a half log croch in about 2 hrs. Not counting hand sanding.16x 14x 2. Two coats teak oil so far, but will add some more tomorrow.
Steve045 (800x754).jpg048 (800x722).jpg050 (800x410).jpg

Steve,
I like the winged effect and the wood.... haven't tried a winged bowl yet... gonna have to try one soon.

'course knowing my luck, I'll lose at least one knuckle doing one of those...

Good job.

Steve,

I sure could have used some of your experience as I have blundered through this experience. I will really be thrilled if mine comes out looking any where near as well as yours.

On Larry's thread I mentioned that the next green log is going to take far less time. I really believe I could do it in less hours than I have spent days on this first one.
I have already made all of the possible stupidities so I can skip them on number two.

It has been a frustrating, interesting, fun, learning experience. I could have killed Larry and Paul for dumping this on me. I will very pleasantly remember the experience the rest of my life. Thanks guys.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited: