Just Feel it is Worth a Plug

Paul Douglass

When I started working on my organ project, I knew I needed to buy more glue, sandpaper and few other items. I went to my favorite site for sandpaper, Klingspor and ordered sandpaper. While at the site, I checked out their brand of glue and saw it was a little cheaper than Titebond, so, hey why not. I ordered glue from them. And I really think it works as well as the Titebond.

I also noticed they had these glue applicater on sale. They are called the Glue-bot. Comes in two sizes, big and little. I didn't really see a need for the big one, the bottle the glue comes in dispenses glue fast enough and covers a good area. But, they have a small one called the Babe-bot. Hold 4 oz. I think. I decided to give it a try, being I knew I was going to have quite a few small items to glue up. Got to say, I love the little guy. Makes it very easy to get the glue where I want it on the little stuff and as long as I remember to put the cap on the nozzle stays clear. I have several nozzles for it and if I let one plug up, I put on a new one and soak the old one in water over night and it seems to clean up nicely. That's it. I like it. Just thought I'd mention it.

Attachments

• fastcap-babebot-glue-bottle-applicator.jpg
    fastcap-babebot-glue-bottle-applicator.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Well worth a plug. I've been a Glue-bot and Babe-bot user for years. Along with a glue pot and a mason jar of glue-size that's about all I ever have glue in.

I've not used one, but I've only heard good things about the Glue-Bot. :thumb:

...I have several nozzles for it and if I let one plug up, I put on a new one and soak the old one in water over night and it seems to clean up nicely...

White vinegar also works well for softening dried PVA (white) and aliphatic resin (yellow) glues. ;)

glenn what is glue size??

Maybe I've got the term wrong. Glue thinned with water. Used to pre-treat open end grain for better cutting, seal the edges of low quality plywood, MDF or particleboard.

Wait. Here is something from woodweb although I didn't know there was such a thing as commercial glue-size I have read the term here and there:

All about glue size

A basic explanation of this product and how to use it. February 13, 2001Q.
I am interested in knowing exactly what "glue size" is, as well as applications for using it.
A.
When machining a low density wood (softwoods or hardwoods) or a medium to dense hardwood with substantial amounts of reaction wood, wood fibers may be so weak that they are pushed over instead of cut off. This is especially obvious when sanding--the wood develops very fine "peach fuzz." Although this may be the effect of dull sandpaper or a dull knife, it can often be remedied with glue size.

Glue size is used to stiffen and strengthen wood fibers so that they can easily be sanded or lightly planed off. Glue size is also applied to the porous edges of particle and fiber boards to prevent over-absorption of glues and finishes. This helps fill the grain and give the wood more even coloration and surface quality. Because many of the materials used for glue size become soft and will flow when heated, it is necessary to avoid high temperatures caused by the friction of aggressive sanding. It is also important to keep the temperature controlled during curing of the finishes.

Most of the time, commercial glue size formulas are better than homemade. Glue size is most commonly made of a watered-down, water-based, PVA adhesive. If you do plan to make your own, try something on the order of 10 parts (or a little less) water to one part white glue. Keep experimenting if this doesn't work out right (it will vary with species).

Pics of my bots, well and old jar of watered down TB-I. The junky plywood in the foreground I used to frame a pegboard panel is sealed with it:

Gue size(1).jpg

I also used it to seal the cheap-o import ply I used to build the "de-peltor quattro" chassis:

Gue size(2).jpg . Gue size(3).jpg

I brush it on with a cheapo brush like an acid brush. Once dry it allows you to sand otherwise fussy edge surfaces smooth quite easily. It will also cure peach fuzz on cheap plywood surfaces but, of course, fouls any hope of finishing without leaving telegraph marks.

Last edited:
Glenn put me off on to the Baby Glue Bot several years ago. I like it very much. I just use the TiteBond bottle as a larger Glue Bot.

The little guy lets you easily glue on vertical surfaces and even up-side-down. When you are through just push the little "snout" cap. No (some times a little) clean up needed. The Baby Glue Bot is for smaller items; things like jewelry boxes, bracelets, sticking Earth Magnets to things, etc. It does not feed enough glue for gluing cabinets, benches, etc.

Enjoy,
JimB