Quilt Hanger

Sean Wright

This is a pretty basic project, but one of my projects none the less.

A family friend made a decroative quilt for my son when he was born. My wife and I wanted to display it in his room. The problem in doing so, was that this quilt did not have a pocket on the back so it could be hung on a dowel. That is why I used a clamping design that you can see in the pictures.

Attachments

• quilt2.jpg
    quilt2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 39
  • quilt1.jpg
    quilt1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 38
  • quilt3.jpg
    quilt3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 44
Nice

This was a very nice project. Handmade quilts are lifetime keepers and to have a nice way to display it is special. Good job! :thumb:

Joan

Very Nice:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

=============

If you ever need to make more
This is what I been doing...........

imagewrap.jpg

Very well done Sean. :thumb: I have several friends who would probably buy one of those from you.

One friend lives in Connecticut and makes quilts. It was a mind blowing surprise when I got one of her quilts in the mail one day. It is the thickest one I have seen in many years. This girl (Woman) spent over a year, on and off, making this thing for me. When I ask her why, she said I was the one that talked her into taking a quilt making class and she really enjoyed it. If it took a hundred years, I could never repay that kindness. She had no idea how much I love quilts.

BedroomSet_001.jpg

It's way to busy being on my bed to hang up though. ;)

(By the way, this is right after I got the bedroom suite. I did finally get lamps, pictures and curtains. :rofl:)

DT

Jesse,

Glad you like it :D

Its a pretty simple setup. The round thing is a hardwood dowel. I drilled a pilot hole in each end. Then I took a piece of prem. pine that I had, and cut a dado down the center. Then I ran the dado on my router table to round the edges, so it wasn't a square cut... more of a curved cut out. Then I ran the whole piece on the router table with a chamfor bit, to dress up the edges a little. After that I drilled 2 counter sunk hols in the back of the piece, that matched up with the holes previously drilled in the dowel. Then I drilled counter sunk holes in the front edge, below where the dowel was going to fasten.

I screwed one end of the dowel in. Then I slide the top edge of the quilt in. After it was centered. I put the other screw in. This pulled the dowel tight to the board, clamping the quilt in place.

To mount it to the wall, I used the counter sunk screw holes on the front of the board,that are no longer visible due to the hanging quilt.

Sorry if I gave too much detail :dunno:

That is very neat Sean, you are an inventive guy for sure! :thumb:

Don, nice quilt, my Mom is BIG TIME into quilts, I should post some pics we took when we went to a HUGE quilt show here in Tokyo, mainly so we could report back to my Mom!! :D

Cheers!

Stu,

I was looking at your shop on your web site. It looks you you are making pretty good use of the space. I'm not closterphobic <sp?> but I think it would take me a while to get use to your shop with the hatch being the only way in or out and no windows.

I had to laugh when I saw the interlocking different colored fatigue mats that you have on your shop floor. I have the same ones on my shop floor too! :rofl: I thought I was the only one with them....:thumb:

Last edited: