An amazing machine

Julio Navarro

I recently took on a part time job at a lumber mill where I get my wood. I am learning to run a Weinig moulder.

The machine has six 25hp motors. it can take a 6/4 10" wide oak board and spit out a 9 inch crown at the other end at about 56 feet per minute.

I ran about 1300 linear feet of cypress T&G flooring in about 40 minutes and that's only because the dust extractor had to be cleaned out mid way through the process.

2013-03-06 15.26.33 HDR.jpg

Feeding that machine and keeping up with it is probably the hardest work I have done in my life. Moving 16' 10" wide rough cypress boards onto the feed table is insanely hard work.

Six 25hp motors? Man, I'll bet that thing's a humming son of a gun. John's comment about bench pressing Beetles brings up a point: Think of all the money you'll save by being able to cancel your gym membership. :D

Wow! That is a pretty cool machine. Running that fast I take it that there must be another guy at the outfeed side?

Absolutely! If we are running T&G flooring he then puts if through the 36" belt sander and then I take the sanded board and lay it on a fork lift the I turn to feed another rough board into the machine. It's a big "U" turn set up.

You are bringing back some memories for me Julio.

At one point during a misspent summer during my college education, I managed to get a job in a molding mill. I got to work several jobs there manufacturing moldings, from working the outfeed side of a gangsaw and working on a 4 head molding mill.

It was quite an experience and impressed upon me the value of getting a higher education....

I was able to talk the owner of the lumber mill to buy three door patterns. He made one of the knives the other day and ran me about 100 feet of sapele, maple, oak and cheery. Here is the sapele door all glued up and prettied. 2013-03-17 12.26.32.jpg

I used a lose tenon to join the miters.

Beautiful miter joints on that door. Very well done!

So that is one of the custom patterns he made for you? Very cool.

Very nice door panel Julio that could be a nice differentiating feature to your custom cabinets. get some good pics done when it is all finished and use them in some sales literature to get the word out. Very appealing.

Beautiful miter joints on that door. Very well done!

So that is one of the custom patterns he made for you? Very cool.

It's one of three profiles that Weiner supplies templates for but I think he will invest in more seeing as how attractive the doors can be and how easy making the parts can be with his machine.

Very nice door panel Julio that could be a nice differentiating feature to your custom cabinets. get some good pics done when it is all finished and use them in some sales literature to get the word out. Very appealing.

That's the plan Rob. I will have about four mitered door shapes and three rail and stile styles. Each of those will have a raised panel and flat panel version. The plan is to make the doors available to local cabinet shops unfinished or finished.