Thread: you old car buffs

you old car buffs

i have a pair of buick emblems that are pretty old but am not sure how old. they are for a buick straight 8, anyone got an idea when they quit making those?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Survey Says...........

1931 to 1953, or there abouts

Got a pic?

My uncle used to collect and rebuild old cars, he had an early Buick straight eight, I think it was a 1932.

Looks like this one..........

This is a 1933 Model 56. We used to call my uncles 32 his "Al Capone" car!!!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 03-29-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

you old car buffs

Stu is real close. The last of the straight eights were made in 1952.

Aloha,

Tony - in Hawaii
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tony...I'm not sure, when the last straight eights were made. But...I once had a 1953 Buick, with that great straight eight in it! (Was an all 'original' '53 one owner... when I bought it, in around '63)

My first car was a 1948 Oldsmobile with straight 8. Hydramatic transmission. Lousy acceleration but awesome top speed.

Picture? Not that I could answer the question, I'm not that old.
    Jim

you old car buffs

Jim,

I stand corrected.

I did a little checking (over 300 car ads in Hemmings to make sure I spoke correctly) and found that Buick did offer a straight 8 in 1953, but only in a model called the "Super 8". So, we were both right.

It must have been a plain-jane model, that had a standard trans. All the rest I found were with the 322 cu.in. "Nailhead" V-8 beginning with the 53 models. That was also the year the famous "Skylark" was introduced, with that V-8 engine and those neat Kelsey-Hays chrome wire wheels, and a continental spare tire mount on the back.

Frank, Oldsmobile first offered a overhead valve V-8 back in 1949. Pontiac and Chevy came in 1955. Cadillac had a 346 cu.in flathead and a hydra-matic trans back in 1947, but it may have offered that in 1946, I am not sure. I think they changed to overhead valves in 1953 or 54.

A side note here: Chevrolet experimented with an overhead valve V-8 way back in mid 1920's. It was based on the 4 cylinder "Baby Grand" overhead valve engine, (which was the basis for the long lasting 6 cylinder chevy engines to come later). That V-8 never got off the ground and Louis & Gaston Chevrolet kept things going with the 4 cyl. until around 1929 or 30.

Hope you folks enjoyed this info. It was fun writing about it. (Now back to woodworking)

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

i wish i had a camra so

i could guys but i would lean towards the early fiftys look that one stu should isnt what i have this attached to a fender or hood with two posts and those nasty clips. it has the 8 in red plastic inlaid in chrome metal then a straight line threw the eight chrome as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!