Upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7 ???

Al Launier

It "appears" that Windows Vista Home Premium can be upgraded to Windows 7 "free of charge". Not sure of this, but wonder if there is any real benefit from doing so.

Also, the Google Chrome browser acts up at time, i.e. boot it up, start to use it, and then it shuts down by itself. Could this be related to Vista Home Premium becoming outdated & not able to keep up with changes made to Chrome? If so, sounds like it might be beneficial to update to Window 7???

I don't know if they are still doing Windows 7 upgrades anymore, may depend on the manufacturer of the pc you have. You'd have to call and see what they are offering. I've not had issues with Vista, but do like windows 7, but don't know of a real difference that a average user would notice. The issues with the browser could be due to an extension you've installed or not know it's been installed, you may check settings>>extensions to see if you have any, try disabling them if you don't know what they are...can aways re-enable them. As far as issue specific to Chrome and Vista, you may have to do a search to see if there are any (which there could be), but I wouldn't think that Google would drop support for Vista yet, it's not that old.

It's always possible you have a virus or malware as well, so you may run malwarebytes or another spyware software scanner to see if something has infected your pc.

I'm not a huge fan of upgrading operating systems. In general, I do a complete reinstall every year or two. Usually because I upgrade hardware, sometimes just to 'refresh' the operating system.

Over time things just seem to get bogged down, and starting over is always a sure fire, although painful, way to get performance back.

I agree with Darren though. If chrome is acting up, probably some kind of malware is responsible.

Thanks for you input. I've decided against upgrading having enough weird things going on without adding another variable(s).

I previously loaded & ran Microsoft Malicious Malware software and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Version 1.70.0.1100 as you suggested, plus did a full system & backup scan (took most of the day). Still getting the quirky things going on. Am getting frequent Data Execution Prevention alerts. Not sure where all this is going, perhaps I need to bring it to a local Geek & have him/her look at it???

Thanks for you input. I've decided against upgrading having enough weird things going on without adding another variable(s).

I previously loaded & ran Microsoft Malicious Malware software and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Version 1.70.0.1100 as you suggested, plus did a full system & backup scan (took most of the day). Still getting the quirky things going on. Am getting frequent Data Execution Prevention alerts. Not sure where all this is going, perhaps I need to bring it to a local Geek & have him/her look at it???

If you're getting the alerts when you aren't actually the one starting a program, then I'd say you may have a virus or something. Depends on what programs it's trying to run when you get them. That alert/security is in place to keep viruses from automatically running apps on your computer. May be good to have a local geek look at it.