Up next... The hall bench project.

John Pollman

I spent a few hours over the past couple evenings playing with Sketchup. I want to build a hall bench and I think I've pretty much got things worked out. It's 42" long, 16" deep, 21" high to the bench, and 42" high to the top of the back panel. This one's gonna give my Kreg jig a good workout! LOL

Here's what she looks like...

hall bench3-1.jpghall bench3-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the design too John. :thumb: I may have to consider doing one of those as well. Would help with keeping the shoes picked up in the entry and give me a place to put mine on.

Are you going to allow the bench top to open up, like a chest?
if so, and the bench is a rail/stile/panel, make sure theres no overhang in front of the front leg as your sketch up shows.the benchtop wont be able to open all the way.

Yep, got that covered Allen. ;)

There will be a fixed piece on either end of the lid that will wrap around the front of the arms. The lid will fit between those pieces and be free to open.

I like Darrens idea of shoe storage but for that i would like to see the lower front face tilt out and down to allow access to the lower compartment for shoe storage.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

John I would make that bench part pointed. That way it does not become a flat surface that everything coming through the door lands on.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: Or at least a 6/12 pitch then at least the stuff will slid off onto the floor.

The material is in da house!

Gonna get started this morning. I also decided that I'm going to head out later (after I finish getting the rail and stile sections built) and pick up a 23ga. pin nailer for attaching the panels. I'm just going to assemble all of the rails and stiles with glue and pocket screws. Then I'll use my router and cut a rabbet around the inside edge on the back. I'm going to pop the panels in place and just use some 1/4" square strips as retainers. (that's where the pinner will come in handy) A little glue on one side of the strip and a few pins and it will be good to go. I'm going to let the panels float though. I think it's better that way.

Yep, that's the one I'm gonna get. It's on sale for $24.99 too. I've got a 20% off coupon, I shouldn't even be thinking about it at this point, but with that 20% coupon, the HF dust collector will be getting a very close look while I'm there. LOL

Well I pulled the trigger on a DC!!

I used the 20% off coupon at HF and the DC was on sale for $199 so I got it for $159. It looks like a pretty decent unit and I've got it hooked up to my TS right now and it works pretty well. I will say one thing though, the assembly instructions were absolutely USELESS!!!! The hardware they describe in the instructions did not match what was sent. It was not presented very well at all but I figured it out and got it put together. After getting the DC all assembled and hooked up to the TS, I decided to get started on the hall bench. It was 5:00 straight up when I started and I had all of the rail and stile panels assembled by 7:30. I'll let them dry overnight and in the morning I'll trim off the pocket screw plugs and give all of the frames a quick sanding. Then I'll get started on cutting and installing the panels. I love that Kreg pocket hole jig! :)

P.S.
I picked up that 23 ga. pin nailer too for $25.

Well John seems to me you trying real hard to win the Allen Levine trophy for the " Most productive woodworker of the year" boy you get going and there aint no slowing you down. John Wayne would be proud. :)
Now frugal me well i would have got the dust collector on 20% off then come back another day with another coupon for my 20% off on the nailer but not given thought to the 3 gallons of gas i just wasted. :) lol.
Good going cant wait to see pics of the work in progress i like what i am hearing. Think you can show ol grey beard down south west of you a thing or two about production. :) Go visit him sometime and tell him you came to shivy him up he has been vacationing long enough.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I love that pin nailer!

I've got the front panel section of the bench done and ready for assembly. The sides and back are all routed. I've just got to use a chisel to square up the corners of the rabbits for those panels and I can get those finished and ready for assembly. I think I'm really going to like this one too. I'll post some pics later.