New Chuck Plate

Nate Davey

I picked this up from Jerry Marcentel over on SMC. It is a very nice piece of kit. Absolutely great for roughing out. Quick to use as you grab it with your chuck, plus it came with some Desert Ironwood and some spalted Palo Verde.
Jerry M Chuck Plate.jpgIM .jpg

Wow i would not have thought that would be secure enough. Can you say what diameter that is. Looking at your chuck in the pic it looks huge.
Thanks for showing it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Stuart, I like to think of it as a jam chuck with teeth. The nice thing is, it won't spin on you and dig into your wood.

Rob, It's very secure, one of the gents on another site roughs out logs with this, 17"x6" hollow forms. The diameter is about 6" I think.

Last edited:
I was watching a video a few night ago of a young Irish turner, forget his name right now, that used something similar for his bowl turning... he used a center hold and his chuck plate had two or 3 spikes like yours.... he turned 12-15 inch bowls, spinning at 1800 rpms to rough them out... looked very efficient and a little scary to me...

Wow i would not have thought that would be secure enough...

Rob, you'd be surprised how secure something like Nate's chuck plate can be. Heck, I've been very pleasantly surprised at the weight and diameter the Oneway Big Bite chuck spur can hold securely, and it's making contact over a smaller area than the chuck plate. Those two bladed "spurs" only penetrate into the wood 1/8" or so, and I've yet to have a large (or small) blank slip on me...even when the mounting surface isn't nice and flat.

Big-Bite-Chuck-Spur-500px.png

that looks massive. you said kit what does that include?

Nate's using the term piece of kit in the British sense...meaning piece of equipment, not necessarily part of a set.

I can see the use. But how do you get it perzactly centered?

You put the center spike in the middle of what you're planning to turn. Also, on the types of large blanks that a chuck plate like that is made for, being exactly centered isn't all that critical. What's a few fractions of an inch among friends? After a couple of minutes with a good gouge, it's all centered. ;)

I was watching a video a few night ago of a young Irish turner, forget his name right now, that used something similar for his bowl turning... he used a center hold and his chuck plate had two or 3 spikes like yours.... he turned 12-15 inch bowls, spinning at 1800 rpms to rough them out... looked very efficient and a little scary to me...

1800 RPMS!!?? :eek: His lathe must be substantial or his blanks are substantially better balanced than what I've ever achieved.

What Vaughn said, again. As the pins can be screwed in and out, I extended the center pin out to hit my center mark. But, once again, as Vaughn said, with a REALLY heavy lathe a little bit out isn't a show stopper. I was using "kit" in the "piece of equipment" sense, not a part of a kit.

Chuck, I think you are referring to Glenn Lucas. A production turner. Great videos

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the back of the chuck plate. Sorry it took so long, busy week. It's hard to see but there is a groove milled at the base of the tenon next to the back of the faceplate
image.jpg

Took me a minute to figure out it was sitting on your tailstock. I was trying to figure out what that handwheel was for on your headstock. :D

I like the adjustable spike idea. :thumb: Is the "tenon" dovetailed at all, or is it straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk