Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: woodworking group

woodworking group

im curious if anyone here has been invovled starting up or help manageing a woodworking group,
    Im thinking, only thinking, of trying to start a woodworking group/club in nassau county LI, and Id like to know what kind of legal issues would be invovled to form such an organization, insurance? how do I go about looking for members? wheres the best place to advertise? how to plan meetings, gatherings, events?

anyone with any experience Id appreciate any thoughts. whether here or pms or emails

getting 20 people to say, yeah, ill be a member, and then never show up at a meet, or attend something we plan, is not what I want.
    Human Test Dummy

Does your High School have a woods class? Possibly talk with the teacher. I would gladly give up a night a month to have local adults in my shop. It would be great publicity, give them new ideas, possibly extra hands with specific projects, etc. Then you have a meeting place already situated for groups. Just an idea.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Ialready asked my wife about space in her school, but thats out.

the high school has shut down its shop programs, as well as some other training programs, budget this or budget that.,

I was hoping to get one of our members to share his or her shop while Id be willing to host meetings in my home eventually when its all setup.

we thought alike jon, school was the first place I was thinking.

my sil works for the high schoold district, so Im going to ask her to speak to the people who handle the building space for after school clubs and activities. see if theyd evne consider it, but then I have to find members who will commit their time.
    Human Test Dummy

Okay, next best alternative, ask some of your American Legion members. They'll have a building and you might be surprised at the numbers of those people that dabble in woodworking and how they will share their building and expertise.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

We used to have one in Brentwood NH high cost of insurance and low attendance shut it down.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Most of our local woodworking guild meetings are at a local church, no real tools are there except for ones that members bring in for the night. Most meetings we have a show/tell of projects that were brought in in different categories (i.e. furniture, turned items, and jigs). They also do some give aways from due proceeds and donations. They will do fund raisers for charity, but have gotten away from charity builds due to liabilities. The larger guild here in town does have their own shop and hundreds of members. For $50 (annual...great deal) I can sign up for safety training and volunteer work, then can schedule time to use the shop at my leisure. They have a lot of big tools and even a CNC Router table for members to use. They also do a lot of builds for local charities.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

. they are a decent drive for me, and 7u pm meeting times mean rush hour traffic.

I might pay them a visit and see what type of membership they have , if the travel is worth it for me.
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-26-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    . they are a decent drive for me, and 7u pm meeting times mean rush hour traffic.

I might pay them a visit and see what type of membership they have , if the travel is worth it for me.
    I bet there would be some members there that are borderline to far away just like you Allen. Ask to talk to a board memeber or two there to find out what's involved to start one up. I'm lucky here in Des Moines to have a big group (almost 500 members) and we get to use the seminar room at the Woodsmith Store for meetings, seminars, etc.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

summertime might be the wrong time of year to try to start things up, people are off on family vacations, home events, but Im going to look into a few things over the next few months to see whats going on around me.
    I have one guy in my nieghborhood, who is a very beginner woodworker, but has a garage full of machines, hes interested and could give it a go, so we may both work from there.
    Human Test Dummy