4 poster bed build for Son & Wife

Bryan Cowing

I got a start on laminating the 3 part 6"x 6" blanks posts for the bed. Got to use the new BS to rip the 8/4 to width. The 12" RAS got a work out, but not impressed with the newly sharpened blade!:mad: Used up all the 80 bd ft of 8/4 oak , only a few long 2x2 off cuts left. That was close estimating!!
Bed is the same as the ash one I built a year ago, but with a few changes in post design to lower the mattress height.
IMG_6145.JPG
IMG_6146.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG Still have a lot of jointing and gluing to do.

Excellent, another Bryan build thread. I really enjoy these Bryan. Thanks for taking the time to drag us all along and for sharing the details of your methods.

I have to ask bryan, what are you paying these days for 8/4 white oak up there in canada?
4/4, same price?

looking foward to this build, thanx for sharing
for the head and footboard & side rails, 6/4 =$2.72 bd ft. For the posts 8/4 = $3.07 bd ft. Tax here is 13%
Not sure what the 4/4 goes for now. Prices have been rising, as I have bought 4/4 under $2. Years ago I remember oak selling at $3.25 for 4/4,

bryan why did you rip the 8/4 on the band saw rather than the tables saw? nice MM saw new ? or new to you:)
I can do longer pieces on the bandsaw than the TS , and its a 2008 saw I bought a year ago, slightly used by previous owner. TS can do 8 ft , bit more if I get some tools / etc. out of the way:rofl: . And I wanted to get some use out of the BS :D, not just take up room in the shop.

I finally can cut the 6" posts to length using the big bandsaw and a TS mitre gauge in one pass, :thumb:

Last edited:
I finished the glue ups today, then started to mount the Vega copier on the lathe. Since this bed needs to be lower to the floor, I made two new templates for the bed post to get the mattress 6" lower. This will also allow the bed roll a bit more space above the footboard. The plan I use was made up a few years ago from a picture of a single bed 4 poster , with no tall foot board. The bed I made a year ago, in queen size, I added a bed roll and changed the footboard to match the headboard. Here are the patterns I will use. The posts are 5 &1/2" square x 57 &1/2 tall. Bed roll just under 4" . Some where the bed posts have grown by 2" compared to the ash bed:huh:
IMG_6141.JPG
Here's a pic of the single bed
IMG_1793.JPG
Queen bed
IMG_5022-1.JPG

Turning the Bed Roll / 2 parts

Started with the 2 piece blanket roll 1st. Band sawed the corners off , and of course forgot to mark the centres on the second one:huh:.
Ruff turning using the Vega, 4" diameter x 30.5", 32.5" oak blanks. Once I have all the parts ruffed out, I will go back over them and finish with hand chisels. Pin is 2" in the centre right now, probably be turned down some more. The shorter one will get a hole drilled on the lathe with a forstner bit, then glued together.
IMG_6151.JPGIMG_6148.JPGIMG_6150.JPGIMG_6152.JPG

Last edited:
I got one bottom done. I nick the corners with a chisel to try and prevent chipping, and feed in the Vega's cutter slowly. Oak blank must weigh 20 pounds, scary at 1000 RPM.:rolleyes: 17.6 pounds when done:eek:
IMG_6163.JPGIMG_6167.JPGIMG_6168.JPG

Last edited:
Rain day today so I been in the shop since 10 am.
grin.gif
grin.gif

I now have the 2 piece bed roll done. Drilled the one end at 1.5" on the lathe. I put a paste grain filler on the parts sanded so far, something I thought I would try since I have a can of the stufff
cheesy.gif
. I will let dry overnight , then lightly sand.
IMG_6175.JPGIMG_6178.JPGIMG_6179.JPGIMG_6180.JPGIMG_6181.JPG

Thanks for posting Bryan I learn tons each time u post. Great project. What a great tool that duplicator is for a project like this.
:thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I have the mid post turnings sanded, and moved on to the bottom post. On the corners, I don't use lathe chisels on the very outside edge for fear of a catch ,
shocked.gif
.. I use a 60 grit disc and and rotate the turning by hand. The Rotex in aggressive mode does a quick job of it. Next, to crisp up the flat face and turned edges, a trip across the jointer. That eliminates the small chip outs.

IMG_6183-001.JPG