non slip mat problem!!!

larry merlau

Ok you can buy this stuff in a black 24x48 or you can get larger sizes at some department stores.. but here is a problem that gets me every so often and am looking to solve it.. i lay a piece on it for protection while i am working on it and after i set it back up, i got dark spots all over like it has leached oil into the wood like the irwin plastic padded clamps do.. another gripe of mine.. so if anyone has a fix for this to end my troubles, i would like to hear of it. thought of washing the mat in the washing machine and see if that takes out the oily stuff? but i dont think i can put clamps in there:)
non slip-oily.jpg non slip-oily-2.jpg this is a worst case scenario...

Last edited:
on the clamps so far i have taken and used painters tape for temp fix.. it works but i cant believe they havnt tried to fix this by now.. it only takes a few mins to get it to.. the only way i have come up with fix it is lacquer thinner or DNA and if that doesnt get it all, light sanding again!!!

I have only used the tan stuff, usually in 12" wide rolls. Never had the problem you describe. But I did get some sheets of the black (haven't used yet), so I'm interested to see responses to this thread.

As an aside, if you are using this primarily to protect the work, you might try some of those furniture moving sliders. Some come with foam rubber on one side and felt on the other side. I've seen them in 3" and 6" discs.

Tony

Last edited:
On the clamps I take the oily pads off and use plasti-dip instead. For the mat I switched to LV bench pucks to hold stuff still. For simple protection I just use carpet scraps. Other bench cookies should do as well. Lowes often has the Bench Dog badged version of Rockler's bench cookies on sale. I bought some pad from Peachtree and made my own but, the LV puck rubber is thicker, grips better, etc. Good or bad, these are the kind of thing that you decide on and then use ones that are all the same. Irregular heights of puck/cookies from different makers leads to frustration.

i have seen those pucks glenn but where i use the mat, i like total support rather than on each end or maybe in the middle as well.. but maybe i need to change my methods some:)

i like the irwin clamps in easy of quick clamping applications but i had thought of plasti dip..

darren, if squeezed to hard, yes. Tom had that problem on some of his doors in his kitchen but the stain and finish took care of it for him in my case i got clear finish and dont need to find out to late it wont hide:(

I sometimes use the black mat material when I'm friction chucking a bowl to finish the bottom, and like you, I've had the oily spots show up. I get rid of them with a few seconds of light sanding with 400 grit paper.