Norfolk Island Pine

Chuck Ellis

I looked up the info on Norfolk Island a while back... looks like a nice place to live... only about 2000 people on the island, so might be a little hard to run down to the local Woodcraft.... but they sure grow some pretty wood there... this piece actually came to me by way of Florida, I finished this hollow form from a log I picked up a year or so back.... nice and dry and turned like turning butter.... I have one log to do then gonna have to find a source for some more.

The vase is just under 10" tall and about 6" diameter at the fattest part... finished inside and out with wipe on polyurethane.

42-1641_0.jpg

I haven't got that far yet... I have another piece to turn... maybe I get it thinner.

I can relate. I've turned a couple pieces of NIP, and only one of them was thin enough to let light shine through. And even then, it wasn't as thin as some of the real good guys get it. Although the wood cuts very nicely, anytime you get something that thin you're right on the edge of having things blow up. I hate when that happens. :)

For NIP source, I know Choice Woods (www.choice-woods.com) just got another small shipment this week in advance of another shipment. Here is a link to the NIP page. This stuff is wet so shipping bites.

They're almost close enough to drop in on... we go through SDF when we go to see the grand kids... it's about 4 hours away.... working on a source from Florida... have a friend who has a brother in Florida and he comes up occasionally.... might be able to induce him to drop off some piece to me and my friend.