Mower Lights

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
When I recently picked up a new zero turn, I was too cheap to pay the $75 + installation for lights on it. So I picked up a small set of driving lights from the local auto parts store for $20.

The lights will mount in the small openings in front of the platform behind the front suspension.
2013-03-17+11.46.31.jpg

I wanted to use some existing holes in the frame gussets.
2013-03-28+07.53.14.jpg

I welded these up from some scrap. Sorry no weld pics, phone died last night and wanted to get them primed, so took pics this morning.
2013-03-28+07.51.44.jpg

How the light will mount.
2013-03-28+07.52.59.jpg

I did buy the factory switch and bezel, just have to pop out the plastic plug in the control panel. The factory light kit diagram shows a place to tie to the key switch for power. I plan to still pull my initial power from there, but will run some relays instead for powering the lights from the batteries directly. This should only draw about 2 amps through the key switch rather than 10 - 15 amps. Also will give me the ability to power additional relays so I could put another light on the rear if need be.

I also have plans for some other electrical accessories, like an electric spreader that a friend gave me, which I’ll make a quick attach mount on the front of the mower for. The relay panel will be mounted under the seat, so should make it easy access for wiring that and a snow plow if I decide to buy or build one.

I'm not sure I'll ever mow much in the dark, but at least I'll have them on there.

TIP: For getting hole placement in an area that is too tight to get your measuring tools into to measure. I cut a piece of paper to the size of the bracket base, then placed it on the gusset where the bracket would mount. I then took a pencil and shaded the paper, which left impressions where the holes were. I then took the paper and laid it on my bracket and center punched where the hole centers were. Finally flipped the paper, placed it on the second bracket and used the previous marks to mark that bracket (I verified they were the same first).

Of the three riding mowers I have owned, I have never used the lights. At least the brand you bought makes it an option. I really don't understand why they are not an option on all. Then I would not have had to pay for something I do not use.

is it my eyes today or are those lights facing the frame which would block any light to your mowing path???
It's just the angle of the camera, they are centered in the opening and about as far forward as I can put them without the front suspension smacking into them.

Of the three riding mowers I have owned, I have never used the lights. At least the brand you bought makes it an option. I really don't understand why they are not an option on all. Then I would not have had to pay for something I do not use.

I've had to mow a few times after the sun started going down, especially in late fall when it's getting dark earlier.

Will the generator on your mower handle those lights? Most driving lights are 55 watts each, and unless you've got an auxiliary generator (other than the flywheel-mounted one on the engine) they might over-tax the system. The B-S engine mounted generator is generally less than 100 watts.

BTW, in about ten years of mowing and snowplowing, I've only used the headlights on my tractor once.

Will the generator on your mower handle those lights? Most driving lights are 55 watts each, and unless you've got an auxiliary generator (other than the flywheel-mounted one on the engine) they might over-tax the system. The B-S engine mounted generator is generally less than 100 watts.

I checked that, somewhere I read it was a 15 amp alternator (180 watts), just can't find the link so may have been in the manuals.

Congratulations!

You're going to love that ZTR if you've never used one. We got a Gravely ZT 52HD last spring and it's a BEAST, I love that thing! It almost makes mowing the lawn and fall cleanup fun. :)

My favorite electric accessory I have for my garden tractor is a 15 gallon tank with an electric pump on it. I use it for spraying down the weeds.

Which reminds me, I've got a lot of spraying I need to do. The weeds are growing like, well, weeds around here now...

Congratulations!

You're going to love that ZTR if you've never used one. We got a Gravely ZT 52HD last spring and it's a BEAST, I love that thing! It almost makes mowing the lawn and fall cleanup fun. :)

My first zero turn I ran was a GrassHopper brand, which used roller chains to connect the drive units to the axles. After 80 - 100 hours the chains would get so much slack that it would jerk around violently, even put my back out once due to it.

I did look at the Zt52HD, it didn't have the ROPS bar (roll over bar system), so was considering the Pro 152, but Ferris has about the same specs as the Pro 152 for about $1000 less.

My favorite electric accessory I have for my garden tractor is a 15 gallon tank with an electric pump on it. I use it for spraying down the weeds.

Which reminds me, I've got a lot of spraying I need to do. The weeds are growing like, well, weeds around here now...

yeah, planning to run electrical to front and back of the machine for such an accessory for spraying the driveway. Probably one that has a spray bar option to wide areas quickly, which will be on the back of the machine.

Strange, the way the weather has been in your area, I guessed a plow was first:thumb:

I almost took the plow off the JD tonight and jinxed us.

Tonight I got home and shot some rattle can black on the brackets, and started running wire while they dried. I need to order a couple of connectors for my auxiliary fuse box, so just ran to the battery for now.
2013-03-28+20.58.01.jpg

The front shots and first lighting...
2013-03-28+20.51.05.jpg

BTW...I raked some leaves out of the flower beds and chopped them, so got a little dirt on it.
2013-03-28+20.51.24.jpg

Outside test run, the swing set is about 30'-35' away.
2013-03-28+20.53.05.jpg

This is the fuse/relay block, which will go under the seat.
2013-03-28+21.23.59.jpg

Mower took it's maiden voyage tonight when I got home. Started at 7:20 and turned it off at 8:20, 1 hour to do 2.5 acres, cut about 3" off. It was about 50 degrees out and I think it was the first time I've experience wind chill driving a mower...man is it fast! :)

Im 58 years old, I never owned a lawn mower.
I used to push my fathers manual mower with the round blade when I was a kid, but never owned a mower as an adult.

Having to use one of those would make you not want to ever cut grass again. :D

We had one growing up that us kids took turns pushing when dad's mower was on the fritz or at a job site (used to back fill basements with it when he built houses). Believe me, if it weren't for the grass blowing in your face you'd have a blast on this one.

Whaaat now i cannot work out why Steve said plow.....i dont see any of that white stuff we got lying on dead grass up here. :)

You got green and 3 inches to cut (wow) now i understand fully.

Great job on the lights look really cool from front. And what a cool video of the driveway. Thanks for posting all this good for future reference for me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Hope they work for you. The headlights that came with my Craftsman mower are pretty wuthluss. I figure when it gets dark enough I need lights it is time to quit. I figure there is another day I can finish mowing. If there isn't, I won't care.