Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Planer to go with my 'new' DC

New Planer to go with my 'new' DC

Ordered a new planer tonight, my DW734 is in need of some TLC, but I'm not putting more money into it at this point in time. I may patch it up and sell it but for now, I'm going to put it on a shelf. Went with a Steel City 40100 13" lunchbox planer, which came with free shipping from Amazon, and includes a dust chute and a stock adapter for 2.5" hose, which my 'new' DC takes:

Oh, and since the new DC has such a hefty footprint, my old Jet DC is up for sale in the classifieds.
    -Ned

Congrats Ned! Looks like it has good reviews, will be interested in hearing yours.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

New Planer to go with my 'new' DC

Thanks Darren, will be sure to post a review once it gets here. I looked at another DW734, and drooled on a DW735, as well as a Porter Cable 12" unit. The steel city was comparable in price to the PC, and came with a dust chute. Both of the dewalts do as well, but they were just out of reach...(in the case of the 735 far out of reach...). Thought about a Jet Combo jointer planer, but couldn't do it.
    -Ned

Great news Ned. I'm happy for you I've heard good things about the Steel City planer as well.
    I forecast a bunch of cutting boards in your future
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Congrats Ned. I'm sure that new planer will be a big asset to your cutting board enterprise.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Sounds like a good deal Ned! Have fun with it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I hope you are as happy with it as I have been with my Steel City table saw. The only down side I have found with my saw is not all accessories are available for it, i.e., I couldn't go to a wood store and get zero clearance inserts for it, I had to order them direct from S.C. Minor inconvenience.
    "We the People ......"

got an email... it should be here tomorrow! woot!
    -Ned

I will bet you are going to like that Planer WAY better than the 735 I was real glad to get rid of mine I hatted it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well, best laid plans...

First off.. the planer arrived and has been unpacked, assembled (handle, dust chute) and proven that it works... Odd thing, the motor is noticeably lower toned than the DW734 (not a bad thing, just an observation).I found that I 'miss' having a head lock from the 734, out of habit mostly. I had a little snipe on the test 'stick' I put through yesterday, but I also haven't leveled out the infeed/outfeed tables on the steel city yet. I'm considering a bit of a shop re-organization at the moment, one where I may build a new planer support bench with larger infeed/outfeed support.

However my courier job reared its ugly and barely profitable head and has had me on the road three nights and a day this week, so no photo of the planer until tomorrow. Here's a photo I took on my delivery run today:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newfield cb one.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	74871
    -Ned